1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fingerprint and Drug Test Public Housing Residents?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Instead of just drug-testing everyone, pass a law that any illegal drug conviction automatically disqualifies one from public assistance for a certain length of time (five years perhaps?). The length of time would be so that some elderly person can get the help they need instead of being DQed for a drug conviction 50 years earlier.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A lot of employers make potential employees submit for drug testing. When the person shows up to piss in the cup, they essentially pass the test because the assumption is that a person who is using drugs isn't stupid enough to show up to be tested. It's not like that everywhere, but I know a lot of places that do it that way.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

So voting is in the same category as terrorism?

I know that this board is occasionally performance art and some are willfully obtuse but I just wish all the people calling for voter ID would just man up and tell the truth -- you don't want some people voting because they aren't voting for your party.

Voter fraud has and never will be a significant issue in elections. The real game is getting the most people out to vote and if one side can disenfranchise a segment of the population that isn't likely to vote for them, then you can swing an election.

The reason why it was difficult for me to get a passport was because I needed a raised seal birth certificate issued by the county clerk where I was born.

The document I had was a certificate of birth and didn't have the seal. Since I don't live in the state I was born, I had to contact the clerk, verify my identity with a fax of my driver's license, then, with a document faxed back to me, I could then order a copy of my birth certificate. Luckily, Champaign County, Illinois had a website where I could do that, but I still had to enter the unique number ID that was faxed to me in the ordering process.

All that hinged on having a state issued ID in the first place.

If you're talking about people who don't have photo IDs in the first place, how are they going to be able to get the proper birth certificate to get the voter ID card?

Duh, they can't so know a possible, if not likely Democratic voter can't vote.

All this voter ID nonsense wouldn't be happening if poor and minority voters voted for Republicans.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I may be missing something but I just don't see why it's such a big deal for anyone to
    be able to get a voter id card in this day and age. You can bet that they people who
    say that it's too hard to get voter id card are carrying around 6 or 7 store discount cards
    in their wallet.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Because some people are criminals does not mean all people are criminals.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

For a guy so quick to lump in just about anything as a feel-good measure that does nothing to solve an actual problem, YF sure does like this feel-good measure that does nothing to solve an actual problem. Also there is the matter of where kids will go if Mom gets tossed out of public housing. But I guess that's where the YF-sponsored orphanages and wealthy white people's foster homes come in.

7. It's a shame YF only has time to post links instead of helping his community solve problems.

8. Boom_70

He should become a community organizer.

9. Gold

Gold Active Member

Of course you are right, YF. These public housing residents are poor, and if the House Republicans and the Tea Party have taught us anything, it should be a crime to be poor. These poor people could sell the products of Amway (owned by Rich DeVos, who supports Republican causes) and be in the six-figure range in no time at all.

Sarcasm aside, what about people who would come visit people in public housing. How could you keep track of them.

For someone whose mindset seems to be less government, you sure want government to be invasive for folks who aren't conservative Republicans.

10. Boom_70

The overall costs for public housing, EBT cards, Free Cell phones, medical care , ect are such a drop in bucket compared to other parts of the Federal Budget, it just does not
    see worth worrying about even if 50 % of the people are scamming the system. The other
    50 % who really need it are getting the help they need.
    the bucket compared to other parts of Federal Budget it

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

When did the Republicans start running Chicago?

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Stop it. You're either ignorant, or you're trolling.

NYCHA residents make up 5 percent of the city's population while 20 percent of New York City crimes are committed in public housing.

-- http://bit.ly/1bE4PDW

NYCHA's buildings are crime ridden. That's a fact. Without aggressive policing, crime will only get worse, and the law abiding residents, and the children will suffer. The generational cycle of crime and poverty will just continue.

And, the fact is, most people don't give a shit. As long as crime is relegated to poor, minority buildings/neighborhoods, most folks won't care.

Trust me, in Chicago, folks are much more worked up about the theft of a couple of iPhones along Michigan Ave., than they are about all the killings on the South and West sides.

The same way it's handled in high end buildings with good security. The guest enters through the main door and checks in with security. The resident signs in the guest, who shows proper ID.

No. A small government response would be to get the government out of the housing business. It would be to end regulations that force developers to set aside a portion of their buildings for low income residents, and it would cut zoning that limit the height of buildings, and where they can be built.

But, if Government is going to be in the housing business, it owes it to all residents to provide them with safe housing, free of crime, drug dealers, and trouble causing non-residents.

Draft saved Draft deleted