1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finebum officially moves from "journalist" to mouthpiece...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by slappy4428, Feb 9, 2011.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'm loathe to call him a journalist, because he's been a talking head shill of a carny barker for years.
    But since the core of being a journalist is... well, writing (hence, journal)... he's no longer writing, which ain't all bad. I mean, how many times can he claim to go out to Bear Bryant's grave for a conversation -- other than when he needs cheap copy....

http://www.njeffersonnews.com/localsports/x2104923466/FINE-GONE-Paul-Finebaum-ends-sybdicated-column

Sports journalist Paul Finebaum is a syndicated newspaper columnist no more.

Finebaum's weekly column, published by The Press-Register in Mobile and carried by numerous newspapers through Alabama and the South, has been discontinued. The announcement came from Press-Register Sports Editor Randy Kennedy in an email to subscribing newspapers on Tuesday morning.

Finebaum had not written a column since December, and Kennedy told editors that the situation was still not settled in a message last week.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

So long to the Roger Dorn of sports columnists.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The North Jefferson News? chazp says "lol."

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Bear told him, "Stick with radio, kid. Newspapers are deader than me."

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

This is a good move for him. Wider audience = more loot.

6. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

He's not hurting for cash.
    I wonder if he'll be a coach at Auburn's spring game this year.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

How so? He didn't do anything but drop the column. Or have it dropped for him, one of the two. He's already been picked up by Sirius months ago.. how is this a wider audience with more loot?

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

More people will hear him than read his column. Besides, his schtick is better suited for the airwaves. More power to him.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hope his pants fit better...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Looks like his diaper needed changing.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

According to an FB friend, Finbum took a call today from a guy who was in ER actually having a heart attack.
    No word if he caused it.

12. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

was listening when it happened. Guy said, "I need to go." Then Paul said, "Hold on, blah, blah, blah..."

Hold on? I know the guy was stupid enough to call while he was in the ER, but shit ...

Draft saved Draft deleted