1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finebaum to ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by UNCGrad, May 23, 2013.

1. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2013/05/paul-finebaum-joins-the-sec-network-and-espn-audio/

A little surprised this hadn't happened already.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Will he play outside of Alabama?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He gets crazy ratings all across the South...

4. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Paul Finebaum has regular callers from across the country. The B1G folks like to call a lot because the SEC fans are always trashing them. He's been on XM for long enough that he has a regular nationwide fan base. Like him or not, he found his niche and he's milked it for a lot of money. If we could all do the same, I'm sure we would.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Isn't this like the third thread to "break" this news?

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That's what I wonder. A lot of stuff that has strong regional following doesn't always play well so great in other places. When I was living outside the south, I couldn't care less about the SEC.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I will be very curious how they use him. If you syndicate him across the south, he's going to get amazing ratings in all of those markets year round, but he's already done that. You can justify hiring him solely based on that.

But most other regions of this country don't want to talk college football year round.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

He has been on XM radio for 3-4 years and has a Nationwide caller base. One of his regular callers that many know is "Robert from Iowa"

I listen from CT during football season. It's a great show for hardcore college
    football fans from anywhere.

I'm sure ESPN has the metrics from XM to get a read on nationwide fan base.

Hopefully he stays on XM through one of the ESPN stations they broadcast.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Congrats to the baum. I don't think his act will go over well in places such as the northeast but as others have noted, he does have a strong base nationally.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What won't go over well is if ESPN tries to change Finebaum's game to a more national
    feel. Too much of what we get now is too nationalized. I'm from the Northeast and
    enjoy the local flavor that Finebaum brought to his broadcast.

I don't enjoy NASCAR near as much as when it was really just a "Southern" event
    that happened to be televised on a national level.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The baum? So you guys are such good friends you don't feel the need to say what pals you are?

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Explain your post. It is confusing.

Draft saved Draft deleted