1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fine piece on Orlando Thomas' fight with ALS

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Comma Chameleon, Jun 10, 2007.

  1. imjustagirl2

    imjustagirl2 New Member

    Thanks for posting that. I had no idea.
  2. StaggerLee

    StaggerLee Well-Known Member

    Thanks for posting this story. It's a fitting tribute to "OT." Orlando is one of the nicest people I've ever met. It saddens me to see him in his present state, but knowing that he's still the same OT deep down inside brings a smile to my face.
  3. buckweaver

    buckweaver Active Member

    Boy, that was hard to get through. :'(

    I just finished the Lou Gehrig book, "Luckiest Man," and I can't recommend it enough. The research is the best I've ever seen on Gehrig's life ... and death. I don't think I ever fully realized how devastating ALS is. Just heart-breaking.
  4. tapintoamerica

    tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

    ALS is probably the worst thing on the planet. It is the epitome of cruel and unusual punishment.
  5. HeinekenMan

    HeinekenMan Active Member

    My wife's grandfather had ALS. It was terrible to see what it did to him.
  6. My father died of it. I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy.

    There are regular research developments, but containment, let alone a cure, still are likely many years away. See here for more information and how you can help.
  7. SnoopyBoy

    SnoopyBoy Member

    Sorry for your loss. Isn't this disease hereditary?
  8. About 5-10% of cases every year are what they call "familial" or inherited. Most cases are new, unconnected (what they call "sporadic") cases. My father's was thought to be sporadic, but designation is based almost entirely on family history (which can be extremely limited). Genetic tests are only available for about 20% of familial cases. A test has not yet been created which would identify the possibility of familial ALS for the other 80% of FALS cases.
  9. chazp

    chazp Active Member

    Thanks for posting. A sad, moving story.
  10. buckweaver

    buckweaver Active Member

    It's not hereditary in the sense that if your father had it, the chances of you having it are necessarily greater. Like diabetes or heart disease.

    DocTalk would know more, but I think "inherited" ALS means that the causes might be attributed to genetics in nature ... not that ALS is inherited, in the common sense of the word.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page