1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fine piece on Mark McGwire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jan 12, 2009.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Agreed ... even before the steroid allegations, I had an argument with a friend where I said he'd probably get in on the first ballot, but I thought he was a marginal candidate.

He'd had several years batting below .260 (I think it was five at the time, before his atrocious final season, which made it six, IIRC) and was a defensive liability.

His HR and walk numbers were going to be enough to get him in, but I never viewed him as a complete player.

The fact that steroids helped him come back from an awful stretch in the early to mid '90s solidifies my belief that he never would have made the hall without them.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I'm with you on this.

Also, those in line for the greatest rewards have to accept the greater risk. If I'm Joe Blow trying to syringe myself from Class AAA ball to a cup of coffee in the bigs, that's one level of cheating. If I'm a great player trying to syringe myself into the record book or to an extra half dozen seasons of multi-million salary, that's a whole 'nother level of cheating.

For guys who seemed like they were headed to Cooperstown before they cheated -- Bonds, Clemens, as Mizzou suggested -- I say too bad. You get to keep your big bank accounts and your extra celebrity and even your non-asterisked records. But you don't get to skip over any years of dirty dealings to go through Cooperstown's front door. You forfeited that when you went over to the dark side. To me, it's like someone from the neighborhood getting voted Good Citizen of the Year for his long tenure in town, but dallying with a 13-year-old cheerleader three months before the banquet. They invalidate themselves and they sure don't get to take the Hall of Fame for granted, as if they've tucked it into their back pocket and now can do whatever they want. That's why the HOF doesn't induct players while they're playing or even a year after they're done.

I know the Hall has no mechanism for throwing out guys found to be snakes after they've been enshrined -- if Pete Rose had held off on gambling or at least held off on being caught until after his induction, he'd still be in. But those are the rules of this game: If you do something to screw up your chances before you're in, your chaces of getting in get screwed up. Period. Too bad.

3. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Not that you need it from me, but nice take

4. micke77

micke77 Member

i agree about mcqwire being a "marginal" candidate. i have always felt that way and his home run surge didn't change that thinking. i am sure rickey will make a push for mcqwire to be in as part of his acceptance speech this summer. book it.

5. In Exile

In Exile Member

Jim Rice ought to send McGwire a bowl of fruit, becasue if it were not for McGwire's PED issues, Rice would never had gotten in. That's being sais, Ede's argument reminds me too much of the "man of his time" argument about about Tom Yawkey et al.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If Mark McGwire were white, he'd be in the HOF [/Wm Rhoden]

7. That's a Bingo!

8. ://www.manofest.com/index.php?option=com_myblog&show=TOP-10-VIDEOS-OF-BOOBS-BOUNCING-IN-SLOW-MOTION.html&Itemidiurl=http://i2.ytimg.com/vi/EYMlIsoZTXY/hqdefault.jpg&feature=player_embedded

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

From Edes' column:

Only seven players in major-league history have hit 400 or more home runs and had a higher OPS. Their names are Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, Lou Gehrig, Bonds, Jimmie Foxx and Manny Ramirez.

Ummm... that's six.

Yeah, it's nitpicky, but that's what I do.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

He counted Babe and Ruth as two people? :)

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

One of the things I love most about Swollen Mac getting slapped time and again is
    how it'll continue to make "Mr. Omerta/What Happens In Baseball Stays In Baseball/
    Mac Didn't Really Violate The Letter Of The Law" LaRussa squirm in his chair.
    Your pet's a fake, Tony. And he'll be flipped the bird again, and again, and again.

12. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

We'll never know how many home runs McGwire hit as a result of performance enhancers. Without them would he have finished with numbers more like Darrell Evans?

McGwire 16 seasons, .263 BA, 1167 runs, 1626 hits, 252 2B, 583 HR, 1414 RBI, 1317 BB, 1596 K
    Evans 21 seasons, .248 BA, 1344 runs, 2223 hits, 329 2B, 414 HR, 1354 RBI, 1605 BB, 1410 K

Draft saved Draft deleted