1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fine piece on Mark McGwire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jan 12, 2009.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Here's my problem with Edes' argument. Just because you don't know the names of every player who used steroids, that doesn't mean you have to reward the ones you do know. When there is a preponderance of the evidence - as in the case of McGwire, Bonds, Sosa, Clemens, Palmeiro, et. al - I think it's perfectly fair not to vote for them.

2. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Bonds and Clemens will get in. They might have to wait a year or two, but they'll get in.

McGwire? I don't know... Perhaps...
    Sosa?
    Palmeiro? No... He's the only one where it should be an easy no.

Anybody who is borderline won't get in.

4. I'm sold.
    He's in.
    As long as he wears the Tshirt to the induction next summer.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Mizzougrad96

Which players alleged/supposed/proven steroid use will have an impact on whether they make it to Cooperstown?

McGwire is the first to experience the backlash.

Palmeiro will be next, then Sosa, Bonds and Clemens. I guess Sheffield has to be a part of the conversation as well.

Canseco and Pettitte weren't getting in anyway.

Who am I forgetting?

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think that's about it among the potential HOFers who have had their names linked to 'roids in any substantive manner.

I doubt Giambi was going to sniff the HOF anyway, but he's the only other big name guy I can think of at the moment.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Edes argument is now, Eh, who cares anymore.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Vintage America.

Like the Iraq War.

Once an issue wears out out toilet-paper-thin patience, all is OK.

9. Not quite like the Iraq War, I don't think.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

A long list of issues that were once important, and now mainstream America could not give a shit about.

The same in that way. The way that I posted it.

11. Mizzougrad96

Other than the obvious steroid use for probably all but a couple seasons, my problem with McGwire was that other than the home runs, he just really wasn't a very good player.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Just because McGwire played with unknown others who also cheat does not lessen his failure to address the more specific information on him and his utter failure (and ridiculous public position) to address the questions asked of him. Usually, a non-denial should not mean an admission, but this is not a criminal trial, and any reasonable person would deny, that's the standard that should apply here. Secondly, I am not enamored of his record. While he did hit 49 his rookie year, thereafter, until he became a steroid freak, he was a very mediocre hitter, even being sat down at the end of the year to perserve a .201 BA. He was/became a really graceful first baseman but I never thought he was a great clutch hitter.

Draft saved Draft deleted