1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Findlay, Ohio, not happy with Eli Saslow

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Jul 1, 2008.

1. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Ditto.
    But what I really wanted to say was that the Findlay editorial amazed me. "Muslim roots." This is the battle Obama has to fight in middle America, where the news goes through such a "fair and balanced" filter that it comes out unrecognizable. I'll be those editorial board clowns don't even realize how skewed their perceptions are.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

How many times have you read Saslow? I've read him several times. I've sat down with his in depth pieces to peruse them. What basis are you using to form your opinion of his work?

He is exceptional. Point blank. I'm going from having read him several times. I normally have little patience or interest in reading stuff outside my realm of interest. For me, investing the time necessary to read Saslow's lengthier pieces is a mark of an excellent writer. I don't ever feel like I wasted my time after reading one of his stories.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

The batteries in my remote died the other night and before I could get new ones I got stuck for a few minutes on Laura Ingraham's show on Fox. She of course had nothing but contempt for Saslow's story, but how did she choose to introduce him and insult him?

Forget the exact quote, but it was something like, "This guy Saslow, he used to be a sports reporter of all things..."

As if there is no lower life form.

4. Q-Bert

Q-Bert Member

Just the other day a reader told my stuff is only tolerable once a month. It's official. I'm better the Saslow.

5. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Sorry to interrupt the Saslow love fest -- he really is good -- but I have two questions:

1. Is it untrue that a man whose father's family is Muslim has "Muslim roots?"

2. What's so wrong about having "Muslim roots" that Obama's surrogates -- and his unpaid cheering section here and in the nation's media outlets -- spend so much time denouncing anyone who mentions them?

6. Editude

Editude Active Member

It's the perceptions and assumptions that many will be encouraging by not discouraging. Certain words are golden code for certain agendas, and "Muslim roots" would qualify.

7. Jones

Jones Active Member

Same job, maybe. Different profession.

8. As a young guy who sometimes gets praised, I must say that reading Eli, pretty much always, makes me aware of how bad I still am. He is my human reality check.

(And loved the rumours story: in most stories, that guy he wrote about would've been an anecdotal lede. Instead, here, the guy WAS the story, Obama Lies Confuse Voters personified. Perfect.)

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Laura doing electronic conservative tapdances for money, criticizing those doing real reporters' work.

Niiiiiiice.

::)

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Findlay to Obama: Come here and prove you're not a Muslim!

http://www.thecourier.com/Issues/2008/Jul/03/ar_news_070308_story1.asp?d=070308_story1,2008,Jul,03&c=n#__comments

What an embarrassment.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The proper response would be, "Like most of my fellow Americans, I wouldn't visit your backward nowhere town on a bet. Come visit me in the White House, you rubes."

12. Good way to win friends and influence people.

Isn't Ben Rothlisberger from Findlay?

Draft saved Draft deleted