1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finding the right balance

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Crimson Tide, Feb 8, 2007.

1. scribe21

scribe21 Member

But most p.m.s (tee hee) are small, and most SEs running them suck. They're either young, or they're not very good and very set in their ways.

Uh, excuse me. I work as a sports editor at a "small" daily and was nominated for Sportswriter of the Year" in my state. I have 15 years of experience and far from "young" A lot of it depends on the person who is doing the job if you ask me. Not all small dailies suck. ... Just because I work for a smaller paper doesn't mean I couldn't crank it up at a larger one. I like being close to home and it works for me.

2. In fairness, Meat did say most, not all.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

You know what would impress me? Learning the difference between "most" and "all".

4. scribe21

scribe21 Member

Thanks for the clarrification. You are correct mystery. Most of them do. There are some exceptions to the rule. ... Sorry I missed all and most. Peace!

5. scribe21

scribe21 Member

Tell me how to use it. ... and I will be glad to.

6. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

Good point. The guy is a great storyteller, so we have played with the idea of him telling a story every week on camera for our Web site. Doesn't matter to me since it's not my beat.

He's crazy over gamers because it's his way of covering his ass from angry parent calls. Of course, we know that doesn't always work.

We have a similar page, but the amount of content shrinks every year. It took a real hit this year because we lost a full-time position. It's down to a player profile and standings at this point. I understand high school sports coverage will be secondary compared to the JUCO, but I still want to produce good copy.

Draft saved Draft deleted