1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finding stringers to cover spring high school sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Apr 2, 2008.

1. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Makes sense; I read a story in the local rag this past week about fewer 16-year-olds getting their licenses because they've got too much other stuff going on, which would speak to your point.

Good luck!

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'll do it. Would you pay mileage?

3. NISB35

NISB35 New Member

Worked for me.

I was rounded up by my local paper during my junior year of high school. Worked part-time and even wrote a column (I was surprised they let me).

Keep in mind, though, school is their No. 1 priority. I only lasted at the paper for four months, then it was time for school.

4. jimmydangles

jimmydangles Member

Worked for me, too. As a wide-eyed HS sophomore, I wanted to write for my city newspaper, so I called up the SE. He told me to come down, he sized me up and soon after I was covering city sports. I also got a chance to write a few columns (looking back...ugh). But, I ended up more than 40 pre-J-School clips and some great experience.

5. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

don't know where the small potatoes are planted, but I might know some guys/gals in your locale...keep in mind, you rarely get more than you pay for....Freelancers are professionals, too, and should be regarded as such....

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised if you learned more from your time at the city paper than you did at the J-school. At least the first year or so.

7. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

I always mined the local colleges when I was a sports editor. Failing that, an ad in the paper, or trying the area high schools. Ended up with a couple of kids who were really reliable, and I appreciated their availability greatly.

Draft saved Draft deleted