1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finding stringers to cover spring high school sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Every season has its challenges and in the spring, it's the way that just about every game is played on a weekday afternoon at the same time.
    I also have difficulty finding stringers to cover those games because adults are usually at work when the games are played and students often have transportation issues or are involved in some other after-school activity that keeps them from getting to games.
    Given those obstacles, what would be a good way to find stringers who are free on weekday afternoons?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Free?
    C'mon. A good way to find them is to pay them something.

Not trying to be a gonad but you won't get anyone good for free - UNLESS you can talk some journalism teacher into making it an assignment. But a lot of the copy will suck hard.

3. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I think he meant free as in available.

4. Smallpotatoes

By "free" I meant available, not that they wouldn't be paid.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Ahhh. My bad.
    Go to the temp work stations around town and round up some folks?

6. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

HS students? I know it'd be a long shot, but they'er available after school, and if they have an interest in writing or show any skill, why not?

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I hate PR guys who think anyone could do our jobs. Lots of bums can't cover a game, dammit.

8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Did any papers recently have buyouts around you? I mean, it may be a stretch, but I am sure if there are writers who were let go, they would love to have the chance to be writing again, even if it's on the side. Is there a college around the area?

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

See if there are any graduated seniors from last year's team who are going to college locally or are still in town for whatever reason. They know the sport, they know the team, and if you beat it into their heads they must be objective (and give them a list of facts/numbers they must include), you can work with the crappy copy.

10. Smallpotatoes

The ones I've talked to usually have some other activity in the afternoon or have transportation issues.
    Case in point: Yesterday I was talking to a student who is in middle school (OK, a little young, but eager to write). I was hoping he could cover a lacrosse game tomorrow afternoon and maybe some other home games of other teams during the season.
    Then he told me he had track practice after school.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Have you tried putting a box in the paper asking folks to call you if they are interested in covering high school games?

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Are you near a university with a J-school program? If they've got students taking sportswriting or who are interested in being sportswriters, you might be able to get one or two of them to write for you.

Draft saved Draft deleted