1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finding/pursuing a golf writing job?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by c-money, Jun 4, 2008.

1. c-money

c-money New Member

Anyone have any suggestions? I have several years of sports writing experience and my dream is to travel and cover golf. I'd love covering the sport at any level, but I know it's a very, very hard gig to find. I'm single, though, and free to go and do wherever so maybe that will help me. I know there will be a place somewhere for me at some point, whether it be for some tour or magazine or organziation. Any thoughts?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Just so you know, just about every beat writer in the country wants to be a golf writer.

It's the most glamorous non-columnist job out there and that's the reason that there are so few of them (golf only jobs) left.

3. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I'm covering my state am tournament this weekend and hate covering golf...well, not hate...it's just not my sport by any stretch.

But there is something to be said for the food and drink that's usually available in the club house...

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Might want to learn putting this on the right part of the board too.

This is for SPECIFIC jobs only.

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Yeah, and I need a blowjob from Christy Turlington. Get the fuck outta here. /Knish

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The only reason you don't want a golf job is because it will be the first one cut when the layoffs come.

7. Scouter

Scouter Member

That's not the only thing you need, BBAM.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Combine that with the hours, and the coverage facilitations, and it's a dream come true.

9. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

'Bout time you joined us here.

10. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

I thought the sports enterprise position was the first one cut when the layoffs come.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

As it has already at many papers. And if not, everyone's travel budget has been whacked severely. The media center at the PGA in Tulsa last year had about as many print guys as Doral did 15 years ago.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Solid.

Draft saved Draft deleted