1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finding Jesus by molesting five children

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

A 'mistake' is when you wash your hair with mouthwash.

When you creep into another bedroom to finger up your little sisters time and time and time again ... It's. Not. A. "Mistake."

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Michelle Duggar recorded a robocall warning that an anti-discrimination ordinance would cause this ...

“I don’t believe the citizens of Fayetteville would want males with past child predator convictions that claim they are female to have a legal right to enter private areas that are reserved for women and girls,” said Duggar. “I doubt that Fayetteville parents would stand for a law that would endanger their daughters or allow them to be traumatized by a man joining them in their private space.”

And she did it while knowing her son was a predator who traumatized five girls.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not yet cancelled as in never airing again, but pulled from the schedule, which implies a chance of return. I'm guessing their lawyers are looking over all the contracts just to make sure before TLC officially pulls the plug.

It's a fluid situation. Call your cable or dish company before you change the channel.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I feel a Duck Dynasty comment coming on.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Somehow, this doesn't totally surprise me, either that it would occur, or that the family and others could move past it.

This family is too large and has too many strict/strange dynamics and rules to it to have there never be anything that would ever be in diametric opposition to its values, and it strives to put forth an image that is too perfect for actual perfection to occur.

I also think there are probably more 14- and 15-year-old child molesters around than anybody realizes, and that, yes, it's possible to have engaged in such acts, even among family members, and still be able to turn out to be a decent, productive person as an adult.

I'm also among those who don't necessarily see this being the end of the TV show, although that's likely to happen just because that'd be the easiest route to take to just make it all go away for all involved. But if done right, and with cooperation from the family, any resulting show/episodes out of this could be more honest, compelling and meaningful than anything else that has ever appeared on TLC. It also makes me see oldest Duggar sister Jana with potentially new eyes. She's a beautiful, seemingly genuine girl, but unlike her other near-aged sisters, she is more retiring and has been "noticed" and "picked on" a little in the media for that in a "What's-wrong-with-Jana- that- she-doesn't-have-a-boyfriend yet?" kind of way.

My main questions about this whole situation are:

Who's the fifth girl that this involved if it also included four of Josh's sisters? My guess is that this other victim is the one that caused the Duggars to have to try to deal with this. Otherwise, it all undoubtedly would have been handled "in-house," and we might never have ever known about any of this.

Which sisters? To me, it would make a difference if these acts occurred between fellow older, also-teenaged siblings, or if Josh were older and involved with the truly little girls. Regardless, with him as a 15-year-old, I'm not ready to compare him to Sandusky yet. But in a family where it seems like you can't date someone unless and until there is an intent to marry them, I could see how clandestine sexual exploration and perhaps even abuse or relations could be carried out among siblings, particularly teenaged ones.

It also doesn't and wouldn't surprise me that Josh and/or the rest of the family might truly turn to Christ or lean on whatever existing beliefs they may have had and seen them become stronger as a result of this. That's usually when it happens -- when people need something beyond themselves the most.

I would be interested to hear and see an honest episode regarding how the family handled this among themselves back when it occurred, and how -- or if -- his sisters have truly forgiven Josh for his actions against them. I can't imagine that it didn't change how they felt about him and being around him at all.

I know that I was recently attacked by a family member -- not in a sexual way, but still, in an unexpected, inexplicable way that shocked me -- and I fear, and have said, that I may never look at that person -- a brother -- or feel the same way about him ever again. And I think he knows it.

I wonder if Josh Duggar knows that feeling, or has had to deal with it in his own family.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I hope they put him in the same prison where that filthy kid-diddling priest got strangled to death by the other inmates.

7. WriteThinking

Not to downplay the wrong-doing, but...Wow.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I think you did a good enough job of downplaying it in your previous post

9. WriteThinking

You mean by writing a different, meaningful post that would probably be correct in practically everybody's opinion if they'd think about it?

OK, then. Forget the first part of my last post. But the "Wow" still stands.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Back on planet earth, the odds are 99.964 percent that any resulting show/episodes out of this will be nothing but scrub-a-dubbing whitewashing bullshit, coated with a heaping helping of "Jeezus loves us so who are you to judge."

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Just a little bump in the road, fellas.

12. WriteThinking

You're right, and I think that's too bad. Because, seriously, how did a family like this, deal with something like that? And do they still, among themselves, I mean? I'd be interested to know.

And it'd probably make them more normal and human in the eyes of others than anything else that's been shown so far, I'll bet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.