1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finding a sports-oriented, yet multifaceted job

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ouipa, Feb 17, 2008.

1. ouipa

ouipa Member

When I get out of college in a few weeks, I'm very interested in joining a staff of a small paper that will keep me busy and help teach me many different talents in addition to sports: news coverage, pagination, online, photography, the works. I'm sure it isn't too hard to find these kinds of jobs, but I still want to focus on sports. I just want to be able to do these kinds of things as well, but in smaller doses.

First of all, is this not how it works?

Second of all, if it is, how would I search for a job like this, and how would I identify it? Thanks for the help. I'm still getting a feel for the arduous process of first-job searching.

2. BRoth

BRoth Member

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but if you get a job at some small paper, chances are you'll have to do "the works" regardless. I'd imagine it would be game stories, feature stories, maybe some photography, pagination and uploading content to a paper's Web site. Sounds pretty normal to me.

For most starting gigs, I have the impression that that's how it would go for anyone.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Do you have anything in paisley?

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If you start at a small shop, you'll probably have to learn how to write, edit, take photos, paginate and cover everything from the local city council meetings to the shooting down the street to the local arts and crafts fair AND top it off with a gamer on the local high school team where you're expected to keep all your own stats.

Strap 'em up and take your Dramamine. It's going to be a wild ride.

Draft saved Draft deleted