1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fincher's "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Dec 21, 2011.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I can watch Fight Club often. I've only seen Seven once and I can't get myself to watch it again.
    Not because it's not great, just can"t watch it again. When I did watch it, I knew nothing about it. No expectations or knowledge.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If Fincher is your favorite director, aren't you obligated to decalre him 'the seminal filmmaker of our time'?

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Saw it.

Loved the original versions.

Haven't read the books.

Loved the casting of this American version.

Loved the direction.

The script blows.

I'd give it a B. Disappointing B.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The Rooney girl seems too pretty to me.
    But I'm spoiled by the lead in the original.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The Rooney girl's not too pretty in this at all. She completely pulls it off, IMO, and she's sexy as hell, in a goth-girl-gonna-wreck-your-life-but-be-worth-it-in-bed way.

The script just didn't make her as emotionally powerful as the Repace's version; she's more of a victim this go-round. Might have something to do with her co-star being a male megastar.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Both of those are probably in my top 10.

7. Mizzougrad96

Fight Club is one of those movies that I can watch over and over again.

Se7en is too dark to watch too often. I love Freeman's last line in that movie.

I also love that the studio wanted a different ending, but Pitt and Freeman said they would refuse to promote the movie unless they went with Fincher's ending.

In the ending they wanted to do, Spacey's character kills Pitt and Freeman kills Spacey and Gwyneth's head is left on her body.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That would have been atrocious. Glad they went with the right one.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yes, but it's not a "bad" movie. Fincher crafts his work well. Of course, he ought to, given the number of takes and level of detail he's allowed.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's the screenwriter's ending, not Fincher's. Although the screenwriter, Andrew Kevin Walker, added a pointless coda. Fincher rightly ended the movie just 90 seconds or so after the shooting.

11. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Americanization.

I consider Fincher an upper-echelon director.

Still baffled/disgusted that THIS movie was remade THIS quickly.

Oh noes, subtitles!

12. Mizzougrad96

I'm going to be very curious how it does at the box office. So many people have read the book, but how often does a dark, violent drama pull in the big bucks?

Draft saved Draft deleted