1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Financial analysts/other biz sources

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Hustle, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Some bloviating before we get to the meat. First: As you guys know, it's been quite a while since I trotted around here. My wife, as well as a few folks from here, suggested that it's probably best to let it all go, and I've come around to that line of thinking. I have far too many friends on here that I have missed greatly; life's too short to sweat the small stuff, and those superb friends are 95% of the reason I've signed in and probably will continue to. I write this not to elicit all manner of welcome-back messages and that sort of thing, but I left with sufficient vigor that I feel it deserves an explanation as to why, suddenly, I've returned to the flock.

Anyway, during my absence, I found the hobby/passion that I've been searching for; in reality, it was right in front of me, something I'd been fascinated by my entire life: air travel. Flights, planes, schedules, dispatchers, ATC, everything about it.

I've been fortunate enough to parlay this interest into a few work assignments. First, a column about navigational aids used by pilots that, sometimes, are named after sports teams/people (they're always five letters; in Houston, there's a procedure called the Rokit Seven departure, which includes specific navpoints like Sslam, Duunk, Mrphy, Akeem, Drxlr, and Ruudi; the Stros Five arrival includes Bigio, Bagwl, Allou and Dirkr; Hartsfield in Atlanta has procedures named Bravs, Dawgs, Dooly, Jckts, Rmbln, Thrsr and Ugaaa). But I digress.

The second is coming up quickly, when the new superjumbo Airbus A380 arrives at Dulles next week. (Press tour starts - starts - at 6 a.m. A labor of love.) My task is to write something on the plane's impact on how we fly internationally, if there's any impact at all, with a local tie-in. I have a feeling of the answer, but my amateur opinion won't cut it, for obvious reasons.

I'm trying to find a financial analyst that deals in transportation/airlines, but I'm really at a loss as to where to start. I tried rummaging through some of the big-name investment sites (JPMChase, Merrill Lynch, Goldman Sachs) and mutual fund sites (T. Rowe Price, Fidelity, Vanguard), but I have no idea if any of them can/will help a small-fry out. I'd guess there's a variety of boutique investment houses, and one that may deal specifically in transportation, but I have no idea where to find them.

Obviously, this isn't something most of us deal with any day, let alone every day. But I really don't know where else to turn - if our paper is reporting on business matters, it's usually not of this scale. So, if you've got any advice, expertise, past experience or general suggestions, all of it would be greatly appreciated.

As usual, I post way too freaking much...some things never change I suppose.

EDITED to admit I dropped the ball and put this in the wrong place. Out of practice, I guess.

2. patchs

patchs Active Member

Long time, no hear from.
    :D
    Welcome back.
    Wish I could help you out.

3. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

If you're at a paper now, ask one of the business reporters to show you the big book (the name escapes me just now) that lists which analysts cover particular companies and industries.

Otherwise just type "Boeing" and "analyst" into Google news and get some names that way.

(I know it's an Airbus plane, but I don't know if US analysts cover Airbus since it's not listed on the US markets. You can bet Boeing analysts will know what's up in the industry.)

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Hustle,

Welcome back. Screwball answered the question well on analysts.

Let me give you a little additional insight as well. The A380 will likely be another Concorde -- in that it will be pretty much used by foreign carriers. Not sure any of the American carriers -- at least those that are viable -- see much value out of something that massive.

Both FedEx and UPS saw potential in the A380 for their international cargo flights, but FedEx canceled its order last year and UPS recently did the same. PM me if you need/want anything more on this.

5. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

profnet.com: a lifesaver from the news-side days.

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

call the PR department for any of those big brokerage houses you mentioned.

7. Hustle, check your messages.

8. Incidentally, I believe there are a couple of fixes called LARRY, MOHHH and CURLY on an approach somewhere in New Hampshire.

9. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Also in NH, IIRC, is one approach plate with ITAWA, PUDDY and IDEED. I believe that's into Manchester, though I'd have to look.

I did follow Screwball's advice last week. Saw a promising guy who's actually regionally located, but was by far the most quoted of all the folks I saw. And I'd like to get a little something different...just because he's good enough for USA Today doesn't mean he's good enough for me, dammit.

FH: Thanks for the info. I've followed the 380 saga pretty closely over the past few months, and I think you're right on. If - IF - the American legacies go for new planes, I see them preferring the 747-800s that are on their way or perhaps the 787 (though I think that's more mid-length than long-haul).

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Hustle,

I've PMd you the name/contact info of an Ole Miss prof who has quite a bit of expertise in the airline industry.

I was even forced to work on a project in one of her classes about the Boeing 737 production.

She's top-notch -- and I don't say that very often.

Draft saved Draft deleted