1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally: Trib to dump Cubs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Basement, Nov 16, 2006.

1. The Basement

The Basement Member

I think it'll happen - it's like giving the manager/coach/Rumy the vote of confidence before the firing a week or month later.
    i'm not a Cubs fan...but i'm not sure if this would be good for the Cubs as a baseball team. the Tribsters always spent money. it was never spent wisely, but it was spent. i could only imagine the reaction to an investment group that only want to spend $75-80 million at best because let's face it, $600+ million is quite a bit to put down and chances are they won't have other major streams of revenue to pull from. In that vein, new owners won't love Wrigley. The push for a major, major renovation or new stadium wouldn't take long, IMO

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/custom/newsroom/chi-061116cubs,1,7355158.story?track=rss

Tribune Co. hasn't said whether the Chicago Cubs are for sale, but that isn't stopping local businessmen from putting together groups to bid for the storied North Side franchise.

Some of the interested bidders say their interest is long-standing, and they have made previous offers that were rebuffed by Tribune, which has owned the Cubs for 25 years. But they now believe Tribune, which also owns the Chicago Tribune and other properties, will either be sold as a whole or in pieces. Either way, they expect the Cubs will be on the block.

Thomas Begel, industrialist and private-equity investor, is one of them. Begel, 64, said he has 15 investors ready to make a competitive bid for the Cubs, which could sell for $600 million or more.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

The leading bidder:

[​IMG]

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Would the following SportsJournalists.commers please report to this thread immediately:

Armchair_QB
    DyePack
    Good Doctor
    Hammer Pants
    Pallister

Wait, Pallister is a White Sox fan. You stay where you are.

4. The Basement

The Basement Member

I thought Dave Duerson was Chicago's sausage king? ;D

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Please add me to the white phone list next time, BYH. I'm a card carrying member of the Northsiders.

A pal of mine who works for the DM Register told me last night that the unconfirmed rumor running around the newsroom was that Gannett might be interested in buying the Cubs.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

There are so many Cubs fans here, I knew I'd forget most of them.

Gannett buying the Cubs. The joke possibilities are endless.

CHICAGO--As part of mainstreaming the Cubs, new owners Gannett today re-hired former manager Dusty Baker and signed him to a lifetime contract.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

The idea of the owners of the McPaper turning the North Siders into the McCubs makes me want to cry.

That being said, there are few potential owners out there who could manage to do WORSE than the Tribune Co. Any potential sale is fine by me.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh you think it can't get any worse? wait til gannett buys like six other NL teams, makes the Cubs the flagship franchise among the holdings...and still manages to lose 90 games a year.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

The first thought that popped in my mind when my buddy told me what they were hearing was "Are you FUCKING KIDDING ME? If everyone thinks that those cheap bastards at the Trib was bad, we're going to be in for a nightmare."

Personally, I hope it's someone else and keep Gannett from ever getting their grubby paws on the team, if it's true that they are entertaining the idea of purchasing the Cubs.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Thomson plans to emerge from the ashes, buy the team and create a strategic marketing group.

The Cardinals, Reds and Brewers will each have to surrender their best players and assets to the Cubs under the plan. The Cubs will continue to fly by chartered jet to road games, while the other teams in the group will settle for buses and rental cars.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Or they buy eight teams, but the Cubs center fielder has to play for all eight teams, the Reds first baseman, so on and so forth ...

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

$600 million....

LOL

Double that, and you can buy the Cubs

Draft saved Draft deleted