1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally the madness is done ... the NBA is back!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Den1983, Nov 26, 2011.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Have to agree with Versatile here. I don't care a whit that the NBA regular season is back, but there are plenty of people who do, just as there are people who can't understand why I continued to care about the baseball playoffs once the Yankees and Red Sox were out of it. Watching it is a consumer choice just like a thousand other consumer choices ... and, don't like it? Change the channel. Or on Christmas, pop in one of the DVDs you got.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Just think how much better the nightly level of play would be if 20% of the franchises were contracted.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

May Nighthawk be cursed with covering the D-League.

4. printdust

printdust New Member

NBA junkies are rushing ticket booths, getting their fix and with no qualms about being pissed over the labor squabble delaying their fix.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Nice spin Baghdad. You weren't even close to being right, like usual. Man can't believe Vick was suspended for life....oh wait

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

1) Wait and see. Over the next days and weeks it's going to come out more and more the players believe they were fucked. And they are, but they're agreeing to it.

2) Wait and see. Odds Vick gets through another year without more legal problems: Ohhh, about 49%.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

OK Baghdad.

1) It is no where near 37%

2) Vick and a thousand other players were not suspended for life.

8. I didn't watch the playoffs. The reasons I wanted the NBA to go away are that I love the NHL and want it to grow even more in popularity, I wanted to watch ESPN squirm without it and I wanted to see even more college basketball on television. No NBA games would mean that the time has to be filled with something. ESPN doesn't have the NHL and could only show so many documentaries before they decided to run more college basketball games. I was really hoping for Ivy League Fridays, especially since Harvard looks very legitimate this year.

During the playoffs, it would mean more opportunities for baseball, soccer and tennis to be televised. That's not fewer options, that's more options. If the NBA was gone, I could potentially get to watch more sports and leagues I really like, as opposed to those I only half-heartedly follow. That's why I have a reason to care. No NBA would have been good news for the sports that are 1 through 7 in the pecking order for me, except for No. 3. The NFL wasn't going to be affected one way or another.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Oh c'mon. Starman, literally for YEARS I've been seeing these long-winded posts from you predicting this coming NBA labor armageddon in 2011 that would result in the complete and final crushing of the players union, an absolute hard cap, the abolition of all guaranteed contracts, entire seasons lost and, most recently, a drop in the players BRI share to around 37 percent. I'm confident you've posted more words overall on this topic than anybody else on this site.

But now that the absolute doomsday scenario didn't quite pan out as predicted, your tune becomes "you know, I really don't care about this stuff." Please.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This. And this question should not just be posed to this one guy about this one thread, but to a bunch of posters on damn near EVERY thread about NBA issues.

I've never gotten why so many here seem so obssessed with constantly announcing how they "don't care" and supposedly "never watch" the NBA (despite the fact that some of those same folks will post about games come playoff time), almost as if they think that's some sort of badge of honor.

Seems like if you truly don't care about something, you'd simply ignore threads about that topic. I don't watch tennis, but it has never occurred to me to jump on every tennis thread to announce that fact. More than any other sport, NBA haters seem inordinately concerned with bragging about how they're supposedly unconcerned. Why is that?

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

In no other major team sport is the regular-season less relevant. The NHL has parallel issues, but it's not nearly as bad as big-league roundball.

FAR too many games (given the nature of the sport), and scheduling frankly-hostile to players' health leaves players no other out than to pace themselves to a degree which, frankly, cheats the fan base and is often an insult to human intelligence.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm pumped. Another .450 season from the Bucks!

Draft saved Draft deleted