1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally the madness is done ... the NBA is back!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Den1983, Nov 26, 2011.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

On Black Friday, no less.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/27/sports/basketball/nba-and-basketball-players-reach-deal-to-end-lockout.html?hp

"On nearly every count, the deal favors the owners."

And you just wait and see when they crunch the numbers and see what gets excluded from BRI. It'll be close to 40 percent before they're done. Plus the players punt on all the peripheral issues.

And of course we're all forgetting the hidden revenues the owners keep out of the deal in the first place -- the 10-20 percent they stash in their pockets right off the top. But never mind that.

In the end it was a classic Obama-style negotiation for the players: Concede, capitulate, and then collapse under deadline pressure, end up settling for a worse deal than if you had just surrendered on Day One.

I don't seriously give a fuck either way. I haven't watched an NBA game start to finish in five years.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The players will get back lost wages through point shaving.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

And drug sales. You forgot drug sales.

5. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

So they strike a deal and decide to open the season on 1) Christmas and 2) A Week 16 NFL Sunday with playoff implications everywhere.

No wonder this took so long.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Gamblers have long keyed on those second of back-to-back nites. Will be an interesting season in that regard.

7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Only one NFL game on Christmas. Night game ... Bears-Packers.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . especially when the other team involved isn't thus cursed.

But you'll see more games than ever before with both sides enduring back-to-back. Think Sternum and the owners of dogass, pigmeat franchises (more than most aficionadoes would like to admit) are going to give ticket rebates for such second-rate "entertainment"?

Don't hold your breath.

CRAP-tastic.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm sure Michael Jordan is pissed that there are people who won't simply bow to his death stare.

This turned out the way a lot of us thought it would -- the owners get what they want and the players cave as soon as they miss a couple weeks of paydays. Doesn't do a whole lot to counter the notion that NBA players blow through their money faster than governments.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The players caved after missing just one payday.

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

No, but "The NBA is back? I don't give a fuck. The NBA is back? Great, can't wait to watch more laziness on defense. The NBA is back? Um, no one cared. The NBA is back? Terrible league, I'll be okay watching 45-38 Big Ten games, thank you very much. The NBA is back? Who cares, I haven't watched a game since Lew Alcindor was winning titles. The NBA is back? Yawn. I haven't watched since Michael Ray Richardson was upsetting the Sixers. The NBA is back? Didn't even know they were gone," sentiments certainly have.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Right but it covered two weeks, I think that is the increment. Anyway, a small semantic point.

Draft saved Draft deleted