1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally, the great board debate will be answered once and for all

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, Dec 27, 2008.

?

Which show is the greatest comedy of the last 20 years.

1. The Simpsons

32 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Seinfeld

38 vote(s)
    47.5%
  3. Curb Your Enthusiasm

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  4. Entourage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Family Guy

5 vote(s)
    6.3%
  6. It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Scrubs

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  8. South Park

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Without that show, there might never have been a Roseanne. ABC signed the deal on that show to compete with FOX's Married ... with Children. It was crude and low-brow humor, and I loved it.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

MST3K? Kids In The Hall?

As for those on the list, my first thought was The Simpsons, but its been so weak the last decade or so, its becoming the Kevin Willis of comedies.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If and when any of these are on in the office, the only one I'll stop what I'm doing and watch is Family Guy. Or Seinfeld, if it's a classic 'sode.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

If you really want to torment the detainees at Gitmo, show them Friends on a 24-hour loop. Then play some latter-day American music.

If I saw the guy who played Ross on the street I'd venture out of my way to have a few words with him. He is that bad.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'm on record as a huge "Seinfeld" fan, and I love mixing it up on threads where people bash the show, but mostly just for the fun of mixing it up. I can see why people who don't like it don't like.

That said, I haven't seen all the shows on this list, so it's hard to render an informed opinion. I never watched one entire episode of "The Simpsons," but I recognize its brilliance based on things I've read and people I've spoken with.

I love "Curb Your Enthusiasm." Getting into "Californication" because of a nice friend who sent me Season One. But yeah, we've done this thread a time or 12.

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

what? no love for "the suite life of zack and cody?"

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Kids in the Hall is definitely one of the best comedy shows of the last 25 years. The theme song is infectious.

Also, Absolutely Fabulous is top-shelf.

This version of the theme is for Canuckistanians here. A slide show of all things Canada, eh?

8. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I think The Simpsons get a bad rap because they have struggled to be funny in the past few years. But in its prime, nothing could touch it.

9. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I was going to say Lizzie McGuire myself

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

They've got nothing on Clarissa Explains It All. That Sam was crazy, never going through the door. What a wacko.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I expected to see a poll about Rush, a/k/a Canada's Greatest Rock Band.

12. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I love Entourage, but no way is it in the top 10 for the last 20 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted