1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally, the great board debate will be answered once and for all

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, Dec 27, 2008.

?

Which show is the greatest comedy of the last 20 years.

1. The Simpsons

32 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Seinfeld

38 vote(s)
    47.5%
  3. Curb Your Enthusiasm

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  4. Entourage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Family Guy

5 vote(s)
    6.3%
  6. It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Scrubs

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  8. South Park

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Cheers ran until 1993, so that's within the past 20 years. Leaving Frazier off the list is an absolute crime and Friends should be there as well.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

1984-1992. The Cosby Show should have been on the list, if for nothing more than how innovative it was -- a black family (successful and loving, at that) wasn't done as a group-centered sitcom before; and look at what we've got on television now.

Friends vs. Seinfeld was the debate when I was growing up. Friends inspired fashion, brought sexual humor right to the forefront and captured audiences with nearly ever storyline. Not to mention it ran for nine years and is still in heavy syndication; though Seinfeld still wins that battle. It definitely is one of the best in the last couple decades.

I hated Frasier. But for 11 seasons, a lot of people didn't. It was intellectual humor -- at least compared to its peers -- that was hit or miss, but how many sitcoms are on the air for 11 seasons? It certainly belongs.

As does Cheers, which -- let's face it -- set the stage for a ton of great careers and other comedies. How many people tuned in for the Cheers finale? Eighty million-plus people.

I'll vote Seinfeld no matter which shows are on the list. And I love Scrubs, but while I think it belongs on the list, I'd rank it below Seinfeld, Simpsons and the shows mentioned above. It's in my Top 5 -- Seinfeld, Saved By The Bell, Boy Meets World, Scrubs, Simpsons -- but it's not the "greatest" show.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Fresh Prince of Bel-Air was outstanding, too.

4. I voted for Homer and the gang.
    I am, as the board knows, not rational on Seinfeld.

5. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

The Office is better than several of these shows.

Also, I vote for The Simpsons.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Only because of the aurora borealis appeared in Skinner's kitchen!

7. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

May I see it?

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

hell, malcolm in the middle deserves to be on the list before 1/2 the shows listed in the poll and the ones mentioned afterward.

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Without Arrested Development, this list has no right answer. The Simpsons was great The keyword in that sentence being 'was.' It has now run about eight years too long. In it's prime, though, it's right up there at the top of the list. Seinfeld was also very good.

But none of those shows had the combination of acting, writing and nuance of Arrested Development. If watched from beginning to end, AD is simply brilliant because there is no fine detail that isn't dealt with.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Frasier and Friends?

Yechhh.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Since we live in a more global society, I thought The Office (UK) was probably the most groundbreaking TV series of the last 20 years in the comedy realm.

The BBC series Peep Show is also very, very good.

In American terms, I still like Seinfeld.

12. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I voted for The Simpsons, but I would have also liked to have seen The Office or Arrested Development on the list.

Draft saved Draft deleted