1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally, some Title IX sanity.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Oct 5, 2006.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Nice use of Google Docs...

Amazed that some schools I am familiar with carry close to 150 for football but only mid 20s for girls basketball.

The female sport that is a bitch to add is lacrosse. It takes a special field with a special grass (for Virginia) that requires a certain mower to cut the Bermuda grass.

Extra basketball, volleyball, soccer and tennis teams for freshmen for example are an easy add because the facilities should already be there.

I wonder if the number of girls who play soccer all their lives, and nothing else, but do not make a varsity spot and give up on school sports, hurts the numbers for other sports?

2. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

There are a lot of small schools in our readership area that don't offer things like winter track - almost no equipment necessary that they don't already have.

There are sports that can be added; if moms and dads figure out they just need to cry, "Title IX!," most school systems don't have a leg to stand on.

3. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Why does lacrosse in Virginia require a special field with special grass when plenty of northeast schools play on their repainted soccer fields -- or the same turf field they use for everything else? Girls lacrosse is one of the fastest growing high school sports in New Jersey, with volleyball (I think) second.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

They bitch for Bermuda grass...

Oh shit, I'm thinking of field hockey. Field hockey parents bitch for Bermuda. My bad.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Oh, yes it is, says Merriam-Webster.

A nonstandard word, says Merriam-Webster, but a word, nonetheless.

"On the other hand, saying that irregardless is not a real word, in spite of all the evidence to the contrary, is just a different kind of ignorance."

(Now, excuse me while I duck for cover)

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What would we do without you correcting a seven year post?

But, since the post is seven years old, we need to know when Merriam-Webster decided to include it.

Since the first comment on the definition is from 2011, I'm going to guess it was some time around then:

www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless

So, nicely done, Captain Hindsight.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think LeBron and Cleveland are going to do it one of these years. For sure by 2009.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Hey, Columbus, you didn't land in the Indies.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Shame about that Lindbergh baby.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I suspect they do. Most travel soccer coaches around here, from about age 10 on, order their players to quit playing all other sports. Period.

Some coaches in other sports OCCASIONALLY do it but soccer by far is the most egregious in this practice.

The parents apparently ain't too good at math: they can't do the simple equation, "Hmmmmm, let's see. In my daughter's school district, in her grade, there are a total of 48 (Forty-Eight) girls playing travel soccer. This is comparable to numbers in other grades. My daughter is 12 and in sixth grade. In five years she will be a junior in HS and, presuming she has continued to play, it will be 'her turn' to make the varsity, since most varsity sports teams are predominantly made up of juniors and seniors. The travel soccer coaches have all assured us that playing travel soccer in grade school is a must to make the varsity in high school and only players with 'total dedication' have a chance to make it. When it comes time for soccer practice to start in 2018, my daughter will be trying out against 48 girls in the class in front of her and 47 other girls in her own class. That ought to be an awesome varsity soccer team with 96 girls on the roster."

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Then how come he found Indians there, huh?

There. I've run rings round you logically.

12. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

Odds that a thread created in 2006 would include a hat-tip to Google Docs?

Draft saved Draft deleted