1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally! Some Good News!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moondoggy, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

Media companies fared extremely well on Wall St. today. Basically, market says, "Well, August didn't totally suck." ;D

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/new-york-times-shares-jump/story.aspx?guid=%7B7D6563C3%2DBE08%2D4E26%2DB6E9%2D37E37A6053E9%7D

2. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

And I should get excited why?

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Dude, any good financial news in the media companies is a plus right now.

4. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

No, good financial news over an extended period is good news.

This is like my grandpa telling my grandma he didn't have any gas today. So what. So we should throw a party??

5. The Granny

The Granny Guest

We used to back in ought-four.

6. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Hahahaha. Good one Granny.

7. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

Because you can dump your media stock at less of a loss now.

8. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

I suppose that's one way of looking at it (though quite cynical). ;)

Here's what makes me laugh (and it somewhat ties into internet talk) - I get these mass e-mails that one of the higherups sends throughout the paper. This individual breaks out the pom-poms and pats him/herself on the back because of how many views and hits our website gets. But here's the thing - If it's not making a profit, who cares?

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Dead-cat bounce.

10. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Comes a little late for me. There are buyouts and layoffs at my place, and I'm in the crosshairs.

11. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

One question I've always had about page views is how many of them are newspaper management types constantly refreshing to see the latest comments on whichever topic is hottest? At one place I worked, the AME sent out a memo telling us that all staff members were supposed to have the paper's site as their home page and any time we googled something, we were supposed to do it through the home page. I hit the delete button and went about my business.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Along those same lines - ya, it's way too late to help those in the crosshairs (especially Scott Carter, who could have used this good news in Tampa), but Media General reported much better August results.

Link: http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003852369

Draft saved Draft deleted