1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally some good domestic news for George Bush - Jenna ties knot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, May 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Pssst. I don't know. And neither do you. There was no internet then . . . which is the only place you will see silly discussions like this.

But yeah, I think a lot of people hated Johnson. And he's never gotten a "free pass" from anyone I know. We, you know, admit it when Democratic presidents suck.

Could you possibly build a bigger strawman? Criminy.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Of course, your definition of decency is in direct relation to whether you agree or disagree with someone's political leanings.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Actually Hondo more than a third of the US Milkitary deaths in Vietnam/Southeast Asoa occured under the Nixon/Ford administrations (21K of 58 K).

Nixon's first year - when he had a "secret peace plan" to quickly end our involvement in the war - was the second-deadliest on record.

http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:8IwZWtJ3dB4J:thewall-usa.com/summary.asp+US+Army+deaths+in+vietnam+by+year&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

There's plenty of blame to be shared equally for Vietnam. Iraq is pretty much squarely on the shoulders of Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld and the other administration cronies who lied and manufactured false reasons for this war.

I hope Jenna Bush is happy. But because of her father's lies, a lot of other parents won't experience the same day she did on Saturday.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Shoulda' said, "hey, wanna fuck," to her. From my sources at UT during that time it worked more often than not.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I don't say this very often, but Yawn is right about this.

6. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

As much as I detest Bush, and their Nazi-aiding, Saudi-slobbering family in general, it's not Jenna's fault.

7. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Yes, Johnson got a free pass on Vietnam.

Jesus Christ, some people will type anything to play the victim.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just me, but I'd really prefer to put my personal feelings about her dad and his politics aside and just wish Jenna and her new husband the best.

9. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Good for Jenna, even if I was bombarded with television updates from Crawford all morning. However, I can't not let my personal feelings about her father's regime cloud my judgment in regards to her day. Each time I saw a coffee cup for sale with Henry and Jenna's picture, or a live shot from a field in Crawford, all I could think was, great, W., go ahead and celebrate while the country is in utter chaos.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm just glad Jenna didn't have the wedding on a flight deck carrier, with full national TV coverage.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

You know, now I kinda wish Hillary were the nominee so if she won and Chelsea got married while people were overseas in Iraq -- you know, would we still be having this discussion?

Let Jenna have her happy day, regardless of how you feel about the Bushes. Shit, I voted for the guy twice (and yes, I will admit it here) and I'm even ready to move on if it means less discord in this country.

And I blame Johnson more for 'Nam than I do Kennedy. JFK really didn't get a chance to dictate Vietnam policy. LBJ did, and we all know it cost him 1968.

12. While Jimmy Carter was President - Saddam Hussein came to power in Iraq; Iran became a Theocracy and the US Embassy was taken hostage; Syria took over Lebanon; and the Russians invaded Afghanistan. Much of the strife in the Middle east can be placed at Carter's doorstep.

I guess in some people's minds here - that makes it OK to hope Amy Carter gets cancer and dies in a fire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.