1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally some good domestic news for George Bush - Jenna ties knot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, May 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_world/2008/05/10/2008-05-10_jenna_bush_gets_married_at_texas_ranch.html

Good news on the domestic front for President Bush: his daughter Jenna's wedding.

The President and some 200 relatives and friends gathered for the nuptials Saturday at Bush's ranch in Crawford, Tex.

The 26-year-old twin exchanged "I dos" with longtime boyfriend Henry Hager, 30, who worked as an aide to Bush's former political advisor Karl Rove. The couple met during the President's 2004 reelection campaign.

"This is a joyous occasion for our family, as we celebrate the happy life ahead of her and her husband, Henry," Bush said Saturday in his weekly radio address. "It's also a special time for [First Lady] Laura, who this Mother's Day weekend will watch a young woman we raised together walk down the aisle."

The couple chose a Texas wedding over a White House ceremony, comfortably away from the Washington media buzz.

Jenna - who selected an Oscar de la Renta wedding gown - is the 22nd presidential child to wed while his or her father served in the White House.

Jenna's twin, Barbara, was picked as maid of honor for the outdoor ceremony at the 1,600-acre ranch. The happy day comes near the end of Bush's troubled second term, in which his administration oversaw the ongoing war in Iraq and the worsening economy.

The couple took their vows at a cross made of Texas limestone, erected near a lake on the ranch.

Jenna and her new hubby's first dance will be to Taj Mahal's "Lovin' in My Baby's Eyes," performed by a 10-piece party band called the Tyrone Smith Revue.

For her father-daughter dance, the bride picked "You Are So Beautiful," a ballad made famous by Joe Cocker.

At a bridal lunch Friday, guests sipped pomegranate-infused champagne outside the Inn on the Creek in Salado, Tex., before several of Jenna's friends took part in a 30-minute yoga session. The older, less flexible invitees enjoyed "chair massages" on the inn's porch, its Web site said.

A local business was quick to cash in on the nuptials. Western White House Gifts in Crawford was offering $10 coffee mugs with a photo of the happy couple, along with $3 "Father of the Bride" buttons, featuring Bush and his daughter.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Congrats, Jenna.

3. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I agree, she seems like a decent girl who's grown out of the occasional drunken display at a college bar.

4. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Most certainly, Sgt. Ty Ziegel joins all Americans in sending best wishes for continued health and prosperity to the Bush family on their most joyous occasion.

[​IMG]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ty_Ziegel

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

I wish I'd thought of that.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That couple is now separated.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I wanted to mention that Barbara, aka, "the cute(r) one" is still available.

But that Ty Ziegel photo and story are heartbreaking. Especially when you read one of the stories on his wikipedia page: "The triumph of love."

9. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Yawn

Yawn New Member

That poor guy.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

You know, though . . . . the more I think about it, the more I think it's a dickhead move to post this poor soldier's story on the day of Jenna Bush's wedding. As if Jenna and her family don't get to have weddings because of all this? Is that what you're saying, ifilus?

Do you begrudge the Bush family's celebrations because of the war? Or do you assume that Ty and his family feel that way?

It's a terrible, heartbreaking story. And it's not the only one.

But I'm having trouble equating one wedding with the other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.