1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FINALLY! SJ.com College Football Poll -- FINAL POST-BOWL POLL -- PAGE 48

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Re: SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- FINAL BALLOT DUE NOON TUESDAY (EST) NO LATER

1. LSU (damn you, slappy and spnited! :) )
    2. Georgia
    3. Southern Cal
    4. West Virginia
    5. Missouri

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

Re: SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- FINAL BALLOT DUE NOON TUESDAY (EST) NO LATER

i'm really disappointed i'll go to bed tonight not knowing ...

i just might have to stop giving this site the tom petty seal of approval.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

1. Louisiana State
    2. Kansas
    3. Missouri
    4. Ohio State
    5. Georgia
    6. Southern California
    7. West Virginia
    8. Virginia Tech
    9. Oklahoma
    10. Texas

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I still don't get why this missed out on THread of the Year (or did it? I don't remember)

slappy rules.

1. LSU
    2. USC
    3. Georgia
    4. West Virginia
    5. THE Ohio State University
    6. Missouri
    7. Kansas
    8. Virginia Tech
    9. Boston College
    10. Oklahoma
    11. Texas
    12. Florida
    13. Tennessee
    14. Hawaii
    15. Arizona State
    16. BYU
    17. Auburn
    18. Illinois
    19. Cincinnati
    20. Clemson
    21. Michigan
    22. Wisconsin
    23. Penn State
    24. Virginia
    25. Texas Tech

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

why do you hate oregon?

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

1. LSU
    2. Kansas
    3. Missouri
    4. Southern Cal
    5. West Virginia
    6. Georgia
    7. Ohio State
    8. Virginia Tech
    9. Oklahoma
    10. Hawaii
    11. Boston College
    12. BYU
    13. Tennessee
    14. Texas
    15. Arizona State
    16. Cincinnati
    17. Auburn
    18. Wisconsin
    19. Clemson
    20. Michigan
    21. Florida
    22. Illinois
    23. Texas Tech
    24. Virginia
    25. Oregon

From my preseason ballot, Florida, Southern Cal, West Virginia, Michigan, LSU, Texas, Va Tech, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Auburn, Georgia, Hawaii, Tennessee and Boston College ended in my final top 25. I pegged Va. Tech in the exact same spot.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Aw, crap.

I don't hate Oregon . . . I was planning to put them in at around 22 or so, and my eyes glazed over by the time I got to that point in my poll.

Dammit. They should go in right above Penn State and push Virginia out.

See? This is tough stuff.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You can resubmit, Piotr. I did when I accidentally left out Illinois.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

shit pio, i blame slappy.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I blame slappy too.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- Final poll 1/8/2008

SportsJournalists.com FINAL COLLEGE FOOTBALL POLL

By SLAPPY 4428
    Poll Taker

I sit here this morning, to coin a phrase (and I know it will catch on), full of fail.

I'm wearing my Ohio State shirt from the night before, watching the neighbor's dog pee on my shed. I'm drinking out of an Oklahoma glass (if the karma was truly right, it would be New Coke), looking at Ms. Slappy's Alabama sweatshirt on the chair and, in the ultimate pull-down-your-pants-and-taunt-you moment, planning a trip to Walmart.

And yet, even though I know my local Walton sweatshop is full of more bozo's and miscreants than any place Bubbler could draw up with his twisted mind playing air guitar to Twisted Sister, I smile.

I smile because, unlike others, we got it right -- just as we said we would from the beginning.

The first poll of the season? LSU was second and USC first. The last poll of the regular season? LSU first, not Ohio State (What's that AP? Didn't hear you. Hey ESPN, little louder? You took who first?).

OK, we didn't get everything right. We finished with Georgia second and along the way we had (In no particular order) Wisconsin, South Florida, Boston College, and Kentucky in the Top 6.

But we got it more right than wrong. And after No. 1, who honestly gives a bucket of pump juice about where anyone else is ranked?

It's been fun (Hell, even my dog is ready to get a screen name and start posting to take on Stan Solo); it's not Crossed Giblets of Death, but what is?

I'm grateful to all of you for allowing me to do it. I've cursed you for tardiness and an inability to remember that each team can only be taken once.

I've been amazed at regionalism and voters' dislikes -- but only had to reject a ballot for being totally out of whack once. But it also gave the voters a different perspective. In all, 71 teams made their way to our poll – not including Appalachian State, which voters tried to slide in right to the bitter end.

As Oz said, "And again, thank you so much for doing this. Not only did it make me a better college football fan, which was hard to believe, but it made me think twice about blasting those who do submit ballots weekly ..."

And as Tom Petty said "How can you not like Cherry Pop-tarts?"

We've laughed at bad teams, picked on over-paid coaches, piled on stupid people and called out the slivey pom-pon wavin' fan bois -- whether it's the Big 11, the SEC, the .. nope, that's pretty much it. Big East and ACC don't deserve fanbois and the Pac-10 and Big 12 can pretty much back their bragging -- much in the same way that Missouri can lay claim to its first 1-2 finish over Kansas since 1909 (I actually looked that up, creating a no-shi t moment with a buddy of mine as he wept while reading the Thanksgiving weekend poll).

My favorite part of the season?

At the early cattle call, one board member (and I honestly don't remember who) begged to get in, then never sent in a preseason ballot so I dropped him. Suddenly after the first week of play, I started getting a ballot from someone not on the list. After the second week, I asked him why he was sending in ballots. I dunno, maybe I missed someone.

You told me I could be in, he replied. Well, where was your preseason poll?

"Oh. I don't believe in preseason polls so I didn't send one. But I'm here now."

Time to go to Walmart.

SportsJournalists.com FINAL COLLEGE FOOTBALL POLL
    1/8/2008
    RK. TEAM (1st) PTS Last

1. LSU (25) 648 1
    2. Georgia (1) 596 4
    3. Southern Cal 585 5
    4. West. Va 570 10
    5. Missouri 543 8
    6. Kansas 536 9
    7. Ohio State 507 2
    8. Oklahoma 458 3
    9. Virginia Tech 446 6
    10. Boston College 363 14
    11. Texas 358 16
    12. Tennessee 340 17
    13. BYU 270 19
    14. Florida 263 11
    15. Hawaii 252 7
    16. Michigan 251 NR
    17. Auburn 241 24
    18. Arizona State 232 12
    19. Cincinnati 201 20
    20. Illinois 174 13
    21. Wisconsin 116 18
    22. Oregon 115 NR
    23. Clemson 106 15
    24. Texas Tech 92 25
    25. Penn State 34 NR
    Also receiving votes: Wake Forest 33, Virginia 29, Boise St. 16, Utah 14, Oregon St., 12, Navy 11, Rutgers 9, California 7, Arkansas 6, Fresno St. 6, Tulsa 5, South Florida 1, Kentucky 1, East Carolina 1, Florida Atlantic 1.

SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll committee: Final poll ballot can be found here.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Wow. That final poll sheet is the icing on the cake.

Superb job.

Draft saved Draft deleted