1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FINALLY! SJ.com College Football Poll -- FINAL POST-BOWL POLL -- PAGE 48

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Aug 22, 2007.

1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Re: SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- Preseason edition

Xan, you could post your top 25 anyway, so we could endlessly ridicule it.
    (Or at least give us something to talk about in this agonizing lull. AMR wants football!!!)

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

i didn't save my post to slappy. perhaps, mr. slappy could return it to me and i'll post it for said ridicule.

3. Hackwilson191

Hackwilson191 Member

Gators not too in-depth analysis:

I will give my take on them since they seem to be a team of debate.

They lost a lot on defense. Eight starters and Reggie Nelson (who was beyond a starter he was equal to at least three guys on the field) These losses are going to hurt a lot, fortunately - outside of Kentucky - offenses in the SEC are on the decline. They do have the talent to fill the gaps, but they could suffer and early season loss while the new guys gel. Look for teams to get big gains once they get past the d-line as the LB core is very inexperienced with Brandon Siler leaving.

As for Tim Tebow, he is almost everything people say he is. He will probably rush for 750 yards this season and throw for almost 2,000. he is a flat out stud and has great passion for the game. The offense should thrive under him, but he is not the most important cog. Percy Harvin is the man to watch out for in the offense. Harvin will be used a lot like Bush was at USC. He will get 10 carries a game in the backfield and will have 7-8 passes thrown his way a game.

Losing Leak should not be a worry, btw. He never fit the offense or the team, two years under Zook ruined his confidence until late last season. He was a great accurate passer but Tebow in the long run brings more to the offense than Leak.

RBs are a problem, Harvin is not a true RB and someone will need to get the other 15 carries. Moore and Mon Williams will probably share the load at first with Williams winning out in the end. If neither of them can average 4.0 ypc , the Gators could have problems opening up passing lanes.

Urban Meyer of course is one of if not the best coaches in the nation and it should be noted that his coaching skill will probably get them a win they do not deserve.

All in all UF is probably a top-10 team, they might lose 2 games in the SEC and will be a contender to go to a BCS game.

4. Re: SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- Preseason edition

I definitely would not say that the offenses at Georgia and Arkansas are on the decline. Alabama either for that matter.

Granted only one of those teams is on the Gators' schedule.

I just can't believe the hype and predicted finish for Florida. I believe there is a huge difference between coming in to run one of two plays, which is what Tebow did last year, and managing an entire offense--especially one as intricate as Urban "Tony LaRussa" Meyer schemes.

And when you run it as much as Tebow does, or as people think he will I should say, you're one high ankle sprain away from sitting for weeks. And if the Gators do lose Tebow, then where will they be?

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

"And it's another Coooooooogarrrrr first down!"

6. Songbird

OK, this was my (extremely) tardy top 25 for this week.

Top 25

1, usc
    2, west virginia
    3, lsu
    4, florida
    5, texas
    6, wisconsin
    7, michigan
    8, virginia tech
    9, louisville
    10, ohio state
    11, california
    12, oklahoma
    13, rutgers
    14, tennnessee
    15, penn state
    16, ucla
    17, georgia
    18, auburn
    19, arkansas
    20, nebraska
    21, florida state.
    22, tcu
    23, boise state
    24, hawaii
    25, texas a.m.

7. WS

WS Member

who's the Florida RB that's out for the season with a torn ACL? I thought that was Mon Williams

8. amraeder

Georgia's offense might not be on the deline, but their defense sure as heck is. They return something like 2, 3? starters from the unit that was the only reason they did as well as they did last year. Their slated starters at defensive end are, I belive, a JUCO transfer and a senior who will be starting for the first time in his college career. That doesn't exactly scare too many people.
    On offense they return a qb who was down right bad (7 TD, 13 INT), and while he should get better, Georgia lost 3 starters on the OL and will have a true freshman protecting Stafford's blindside. Against SEC defensive ends, that could be a problem.
    Georgia did end the season on a positive note, finishing with three straight wins over ranked teams, so there is that.
    But they beat Auburn becuase they held a slumping Brandon Cox to 4-of-12 passing for 29 yards, and the then went on to beating quarterbacking luminaries Reggie Ball (who singlehandedly kept the best player in the nation from going to NY for the Heisman), and umm, whoever the heck Sean Glennon is (he's apprently the guy who threw for 3.9 yards a pass and 3 INTS gainst the Bulldogs.)
    So their late-season swing (after 10 pretty miserable games) becuase they feasted on crummy QBs.
    Oh, and of course the unit that feasted on these QBs is returning very few people.
    Smells like a 3 or 4 loss team to me! Only W. Car, Miss, Troy and Kentucky seems like sure W's.

9. Hackwilson191

Hackwilson191 Member

You are right, about Mon Williams, I had a brain fart and meant Chris Rainey, another freshman...of course you need to remember UF played more freshmen last year than any other D-I program

If they lose Tebow, it will be tough...they had signed JUCO Bryan Waganner , but he was also hurt in the spring and could miss time....otherwise they would have to start Cameron Newton or Brantley, both 5-star guys but freshmen.

And I do think SEC offenses are on the decline ...of course It might be more of a defensive gain than an offensive decline. numbers on O were down last year.

Arkansas' offense is not on the decline due to its ground game, but who QBs them this year??? As for Georgia, they were down last year on offense due to Stafford's lack of production...if He does not realize his potential than yes the Bulldogs O will be on the decline...Alabama never had an offense in the first place...at least not since Shaun Alexander...

And do not count on Kentucky as a sure win this year for anyone in the SEC...they will upset at least two teams again and make a bowl game again...

10. amraeder

Yeah, I penciled in Kentucky as a W, but had second thoughts after I did. Especially because I could really see Georgia struggling on both sides of the ball this year (The thin red line part 2? 3?).

Florida's such a tough team to pick becuase they lost so much. Their d kept them in a lot of games last year. How good will it be? And then everyone swares Tebow is a manchild, but is it just hype?
    Myer's a good coach, and he made a running game out of nothing last year and won a championship with a QB who didn't fit his system, so I don't really want to count him out.
    I've soured on Aurburn lately (my biggest regret from my first poll is having them so high), so I easily see this coming down to Florida and LSU.
    (I'm not down on everyone. Alabama will probably be better than people expect)

11. Songbird

For any 'Bama fans, there's a pretty cool story on Saban — and Tide culture/fanaticism in general — in SI.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted