1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally saw 'Fight Club'

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Okay, it's been eight years since its release. And I finally saw it.
    Now my question is... am I really that dumb? Did everyone else see the Jack/Tyler resolution coming down the street with both doors open? Friend of mine says he saw it coming about halfway thru.

Me? Didn't see it at all.

What a mindfuck of a movie. Depressing, dark, interesting.
  2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I saw it for the first time four years ago, and I didn't expect the ending, either.
  3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Still haven't seen it and I know the ending.

Kind of kills it, you know?
  4. Killick

Hmm. Took me a while to see Usual Suspects, too. I guess I'm just not the movie fan I thought I was. But, yes, US was great flick, too.

As a postscript to my FC amazement, I was just on imdb.com and it has a whole list of things that foreshadow the ending. Reading through, I remembered noticing more than a few of them, just never put things together in my head. Interesting.
  5. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

One of my favorite movies of all-time. It continues to impress me just because it totally goes 360 on your mind by the end. It was a spectacular visual piece of cinema in my mind. The best scene in my mind is when they get the guy to gun point outside of his convenience store and change his life around.
  6. Overrated

Overrated Guest

The endings of Fight Club, Usual Suspect and The Life of David Gale are the three movies which caught me completely off guard.
  7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Titanic caught me off guard. The boat sinks. Who knew?
  8. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Not the people on the boat, that's for sure.
  9. Killick

Not to mention 'Pride of the Yankees.' What are the odds that the guy dies of Lou Gehrig's Disease?
  10. Saint Lou

Saint Lou Member

Now go read the book. It's even better.
  11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

OK, that made me fucking laugh.

Now, as your penance, go read "Luckiest Man" -- one of the best sports bios I've read in a long time.
  12. A guy with the sidesaddle I have has to weigh in on this thread, right?

The movie is simply amazing. I didn't see the end coming, but I'm always even more amazed at the stuff I pick up on repeat viewings. It is definitely the movie that has the most stuff you'll catch later of any film I've ever seen.

The book is good, but I think the movie is actually better. That's really, really rare, but to me that's a testament to how good the movie is.

What I really like about it is I feel like it's a great film even without the twist. Take away the twist from movies like "The Sixth Sense," for example, and I don't find them to be all that re-watchable. This one would be anyway.
Draft saved Draft deleted