1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally recognizing a song

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by finishthehat, Mar 7, 2008.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Maybe this only happens to me, but:

I've heard about Alanis Morissette's song "Ironic," of course, because of everyone citing "it's like rain on your wedding day" whenever someone else mis-uses the word irony.

And I've heard the song, in the background at bars, restaurants, whatever. Never knew that the title was, however, and didn't really care.

Then last night, waiting for some food in a restaurant, I heard it again, put two and two together and realized the song I'd been hearing all this time was the song I'd been hearing ABOUT all this time.

I know this has happened to me with other songs, although I can't remember specifics.

Ever happen to you?

2. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Mr. Brown: Let me tell you what 'Like a Virgin' is about. It's all about a girl who digs a guy with a big dick. The entire song. It's a metaphor for big dicks.
    Mr. Blonde: No, no. It's about a girl who is very vulnerable. She's been fucked over a few times. Then she meets some guy who's really sensitive...
    Mr. Brown: Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa... Time out Greenbay. Tell that fucking bullshit to the tourists.
    Joe: Toby... Who the fuck is Toby? Toby...
    Mr. Brown: 'Like a Virgin' is not about this nice girl who meets a nice fella. That's what "True Blue" is about, now, granted, no argument about that.
    Mr. Orange: Which one is 'True Blue'?
    Nice Guy Eddie: 'True Blue' was a big ass hit for Madonna. I don't even follow this Tops In Pops shit, and I've at least heard of "True Blue".
    Mr. Orange: Look, asshole, I didn't say I ain't heard of it. All I asked was how does it go? Excuse me for not being the world's biggest Madonna fan.
    Mr. Orange: Personally, I can do without her.
    Mr. Blue: I like her early stuff. You know, 'Lucky Star', 'Borderline' - but once she got into her 'Papa Don't Preach' phase, I don't know, I tuned out.
    Mr. Brown: Hey, you guys are making me lose my... train of thought here. I was saying something, what was it?
    Joe: Oh, Toby was this Chinese girl, what was her last name?
    Mr. White: What's that?
    Joe: I found this old address book in a jacket I ain't worn in a coon's age. What was that name?
    Mr. Brown: What the fuck was I talking about?
    Mr. Pink: You said 'True Blue' was about a nice girl, a sensitive girl who meets a nice guy, and that 'Like a Virgin' was a metaphor for big dicks.
    Mr. Brown: Lemme tell you what 'Like a Virgin' is about. It's all about this cooze who's a regular fuck machine, I'm talking morning, day, night, afternoon, dick, dick, dick, dick, dick, dick, dick, dick, dick.
    Mr. Blue: How many dicks is that?
    Mr. White: A lot.
    Mr. Brown: Then one day she meets this John Holmes motherfucker and it's like, whoa baby, I mean this cat is like Charles Bronson in the 'Great Escape', he's digging tunnels. Now, she's gettin' the serious dick action and she's feeling something she ain't felt since forever. Pain. Pain.
    Joe: Chew? Toby Chew?
    Mr. Brown: It hurts her. It shouldn't hurt her, you know, her pussy should be Bubble Yum by now, but when this cat fucks her it hurts. It hurts just like it did the first time. You see the pain is reminding a fuck machine what it once was like to be a virgin. Hence, 'Like a Virgin'.
    Joe: Wong?

3. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Excellent.

Mr. Brown! That's a little too close to Mr. Shit.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

In college I roomed next to a football player who put the same dance single on his turntable every morning and left without turning it off. It wasn't loud, but I asked him a few times and he would forget, and I would have to listen to the damn thing a million times before hitting my late morning class schedule, day after day for the better part of a semester. I'm sure I'm brain-damaged from hearing it so often.

But it wasn't until I saw a Kia commercial years later that I learned the song was Genius of Love by Tom Tom Club.

The player was a 6-2, 300-pound nose guard who kept quarters in his ears, wore eyeglasses without lenses, and whose nickname was Black, because he blotted out the sun just standing there.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

It's happened to me plenty of times. Usually with classic rock.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I love when people finally listen to the lyrics for "More Than Words" by Extreme and realize what it's actually about. Sounds like the sweetest little love song ever, but in reality the dude is telling the chick he's going to dump her if she won't fuck him.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Pretty much any old rock song. I'm sure it will happen soon with "Stairway To Heaven" which people keep telling me they know I've heard...but I sure as hell don't think so.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

There's a classic rock song I would love to download but I dont' the freaking name of it or who sings it.

It starts off as a classic guitar chord, goes into something resembling a reggae beat, then has someone moaning "Diiiaaane" or "Dyyyyyingg"

Any help?

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Abe Simpson: You know, you remind me of a poem I can't remember, and a song that may never have existed, and a place I'm not sure I've ever been to.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

No. This one is a slower beat, and there's a guitar riff at the beginning before it breaks into reggae.

That similar, though.

12. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Heard it at a Chili's with Mrs. Granny one night. Reminded me of college and drove me nuts all weekend. Finally, I figured it out:

Tasmin Archer's "Sleeping Satellite."

Draft saved Draft deleted