1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally, Raptors Basketball on a Canadian Broadacaster (kudos CBC)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cansportschick, Sep 20, 2007.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So wouldn't that answer your question as to why the Raptor game isn't being shown and Figure skating is

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Cansport, there was a time when CTV had terrific figure skating ratings. That's not the case any more --it's up there with poker in terms of diminished viewers .

You have to remember that figure skating's numbers went through the roof after the Harding affair and also at the time there were some dynamic and exciting Canadian figure skaters. Since the glory days all we've had is a bunch of choke artists.

Name me one Canadian figure skater who's a household world

3. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

JR, I think on a whole after Skategate, numbers did go down. But they are slowly climbing back up.

Canada has three pairs who rank in the top ten in the world. Davidson and Dube upset one of the top rank Chinese couples at Skate America. The men are so strong, expect for choke artist Sandhu (so what if Buttle can't land a quad yet). Women are in a bit of a funk and the Asian skaters are dominating the sport. Ice Dance has Virtue and Moir and while they are taking time off, Dubriel and Lauzon.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

So what if Buttle can't land a quad yet?

In SportsJournalists.com tradition ...

Wow. Just wow.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Can
    I've never heard of any of these people. And what's more, I don't care.

6. Cansportschick

With the new judging system, skaters are finding ways to juice the system and get points.
    Buttle proved at the Olympics that you don't need the quad to win the bronze medal. Even though the quad is the thing in men's skating now, the fact is Buttle makes up for it artistically. If the top competitors are falling all over the place, he has a shot to medal if he lands his jumps and does high degree of artistry.

However, come 2010, Buttle should be able to land one, don't you think?

At this point, I think Joubert is untouchable. However, Plushenko may have something to say something about that.

7. Cansportschick

JR, your opinion.....that's what happens when you don't follow figure skating. ;) :)

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What he said

9. Flash

Flash Guest

No. I don't think Buttle will ever land one. And you might want to check with Kurt Browning before you spout off on the quad being irrelevant.

One of the reasons Buttle won a bronze at the Olympics is because only two guys were better than him. And that was sad. It was a dreadful competition.

10. Cansportschick

Flash, we will disagree with this one, because a lot of the top competitiors did not bring their A game to Turin.
    There were people better than Buttle, but the point being that their programs fizzled in the big dance. Buttle took advantage of it and put out a solid performance.

Yeah, I know the quad is important in men's skating, but even if you don't land it but attempt to do it, you get credit for it. Buttle's coaches have said that they put in the quad for points, knowing that he won't land it.

Forgive me for being an optimist, but I think Buttle can get it before 2010.

11. Flash

Flash Guest

How is that not what I just said?

Draft saved Draft deleted