1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally, Raptors Basketball on a Canadian Broadacaster (kudos CBC)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cansportschick, Sep 20, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yeah, but SFX gets to play MA this weekend.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Yeah but they aren't as crappy as they were five years ago, right?

3. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

This interesting piece of information was on the CBC blog today:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/nba/jay/

Mr. Jay says Toronto did not even rank in the top 10 of cities that have basketball obsessed fans.
    Hamilton ranked first this year, followed by Halifax.

Mr.Jay says that if you look at the last four years, Halifax "leads the country".

Does anybody believe these stats?

Another thing that is pissing me off, I just found out that we aren't getting the CBC coverage of the Raptors game on Sunday against the Celtics. I am happy to see Skate Canada coming to CBC, since I follow figure skating (don't you all start calling me a pansy ::) ), but really, can't they show skating later (like take off the Fifth Estate show on Mulroney) and give us the Raptor game?

Why did they make a decision like this?

4. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

That would lead to quite a shitstorm, don't you think?

5. Cansportschick

I think CBC should weather the shitstorm....they have in the past for other stuff.

But then again, they are the Crown Corporation (funded by gov't). I can see your point. If Harper wasn't PM, and our PM was Liberal, NDP then I think CBC would think differently and realize what is better to air.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That episode of the Fifth Estate was a great piece of journalism. Mulroney's always been a slimebag and this just confirms it.

If these allegations are true, he's in deep doodoo.

And I bet that the Fifth Estate gets better ratings than a Raptors game.

7. Cansportschick

Does it get better ratings than figure skating? JR, my point was to move Fifth Estate on Sunday night and play a same day tape of Skate Canada. Raptors game should be available to all markets live. Anyway, I understand that CBC is playing Skate Canada tonight at midnight as a same day tape.

Mulroney is a slimebag and deserves whatever comes his way. The Mulroney Tapes proved it. I am glad Trudeau had smarts to screw Mulroney over on the Charlottetown Accord.

At least the Raptors game will probably be available on demand.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Figure skating's ratings have gone into the toilet the last few years because there's no one who's even remotely interesting. Whether it gets worse ratings than a Raptor's game is like arguing about the tallest midget.

And CBC already has Fifth Estate on Sunday nights along with Wednesday nights.

9. Cansportschick

Wow, I guess I am not home as much on Sundays to know Fifth Estate has another time slot. Linden MacIntrye is one heck of an investigative journalist. The Steven Truscott story is one of his best pieces of work.

It sucks I will be home on Sunday. I guess I will have to watch the Score, or TSN to get highlights of the Raptors game.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I would almost guarantee you that Figure Skating gets better ratings than Raptors basketball. I find it interesting that networks seem to think of the Raptors as Canada's team. No one out west gives 2 shits about the Raptors.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

JC, most people in Toronto don't give two shits.

It's like hockey in Chicago. There's 20,000 fans and they all go to the games.

12. Cansportschick

Actually JC, I thought and I could have sworn that CTV had higher ratings a few years ago for their coverage of skating and on one occaison beat some sporting event on CBC whether it was hockey or something else.

Draft saved Draft deleted