1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally, Raptors Basketball on a Canadian Broadacaster (kudos CBC)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cansportschick, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070919.wsptraps19/GSStory/GlobeSportsBasketball/?page=rss&id=RTGAM.20070919.wsptraps19

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/story/2007/09/19/raptors-cbc.html

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/nba/tvschedule.html

I was starting to wonder if CBC was sinking the sports broadcasting ship after my rant in the hockey thread a while back because they lost the Olympics, curling, and CTV took NFL coverage under Global's nose among other things. They have gone on the Raptors bandwagon. Scott Moore is one smart cookie: realizing that none of the main networks have taken the reins of broadcasting Raptors basketball and seizing the opportunity. The only downside is that CBC is broadcasting 7 games (very small number) and this is probably due to the NHL HNIC coverage over the year (as you all know, CBC Sports vehicle...an arguement can be made for the whole company too)

Hoping the viewship numbers are great enough that CBC considers broadcasting more games in the coming years and that it is a permanent fixture. This is a step in the positive direction for CBC. It is also about time a national broadcaster (out of the main three) is going to give the Raptors the time of day. It is disappointing that CTV at one point was broadcasting games (I believe with partnership with TSN) a few years back and since then, no more coverage from the three big media broadcasters in Canada until now.

Interesting conclusion of coverage for CBC in March with Iverson and Nuggets coming to Toronto on March 23rd.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

All you need to know about the Raptors broadcast schedule is this: the majority of the games are on the Score.

Think the NHL and Versus in the U.S.

CBC's just picking up the crumbs.

3. Cansportschick

JR, I know the Score does have them, but it's the fact that a main broadcaster out of CTV, CBC and Global is actually going to carry it. And considering the misfortune of sports at CBC and events that have taken shape, this is a major step.

And even though it's crumbs...it is a positive thing for CBC and for the Raptors too. A step in the right direction.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Are Sportsnet and TSN not national networks? Last time I checked I saw plenty of Raptor games on those channels over the last few years.
    They were also on CTV on some Sunday mornings.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Maybe not in Halifax. :)

6. Cansportschick

JC, we consider them here in Halifax as sports specialty channels. CTV, CBC and Global are considered the big three stations here (we call them here the national broadcast networks). While TSN and Sportsnet are national channels, they are sports speciality channels.

Make sense?

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

No!
    They are speciality sport NATIONAL channels which are on basic cable.
    Better question why would Global,CTV or CBC pick up more than a few Raptor games? I think that is what sports channels are for.

8. Cansportschick

Well JC, we Haligonians consider things a little different, so we can agree to disagree on this. TSN and Sportsnet are NOT considered main national network stations here in Halifax. Sorry but that is how it stands here. They are sport speciality stations, not main national network stations like the big three are (CTV, CBC and Global). While the sports channels are considered national, they are NOT part of basic cable.

http://www.eastlink.ca/cable/channelguides/channelguide.asp

TSN and Sportsnet are in the yellow section of that link, which means you have to pay extra for a superpack. Also, there are people that cannot afford more than basic cable (I know many students who cannot even afford more than the basic channels).

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You didn't answer why any of your national stations would feel obligated to put on more than a few Raptor games. How much revenue do you think these games generate outside of Southern Ontario.
    What are sports speciality channels supposed to show if not for professional sports. (Poker not withstanding)

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Funny ... I know plenty of Haligonians, and many other Maritimers, who consider them national networks.

Please try to remember you don't speak for the entire region. Just your little world.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Does anyone outside Toronto actually CARE about the Raptors?

For that matter, does anyone in Toronto care?

I agree with JC on this. Reruns of "Front Page Challenge" on CBC would probably get better ratings than the Raptors.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

Shoot, people in Vancouver didn't care when they had the Grizzlies ... hence, their new home in Memphis.

Basketball was never on in my house, unless my younger brother got hold of the remote. Hockey and football ... and hockey. And more hockey.

Look at how many times they tried to put minor-league pro hoops in N.S.

Thank God, they finally gave up trying.

Draft saved Draft deleted