1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally got to go to Yankee Stadium, but thought I was dying on the way home

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pressboxramblings07, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

The pilot say anything? Flight attendants? I've been on a plane that lost an engine in the middle of a flight and had to put down and that was not a happy group of travelers for the 10 minutes it took for us to put 'er down in Louisville. This was surely worse than that.

2. dargan

dargan Active Member

Glad to hear you're OK.

Airplanes really, really suck.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

http://offthebroiler.wordpress.com/2007/03/12/a-new-york-egg-cream-primer/

4. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Isn't it kind of late to be calling it an "emergency" after the plane has crashed?

5. The pilot told us that they had to shut down the engine and would be landing at Kennedy -- but it was "not an emergency." Bull crap.

6. I gotta tell you, I'm not sure about that. But I'll try (almost) anything once.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

You'll plotz, boychik, trust me.

8. It's not an emergency, per se.

Multi-engine planes are designed to climb at such-and-such a rate per minute, even on one engine.

Even if a plane lost an engine on its takeoff roll, it would still have enough power to continue the takeoff and establish a climb at x feet per minute (x depending on the make and model of aircraft, atmospheric conditions and temperature, as tbf mentioned).

9. dargan

dargan Active Member

This is why airplanes suck ...

1.Planes fly.

2.Flying involves not being on the ground.

3.Not being on the ground involves vertigo, paranoia, and the possibility of certain death by plummeting skytank.

4.You're not driving.

5.You don't ever know what's really going on.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's like the saying about minor surgery being surgery on the other guy.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Give this man Bill McLoughlin a raise. Based on his quotes in the article, I can see this guy staying calm under pressure. Who knows, maybe his work helped avert the level three emergency, which would be a crash:

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Taking this from the story and fixing it:

"Ground-kissing Passengers from the 140-seat aircraft were put on another American flight Amtrak, Greyhound or on flights from other carriers to get to Atlanta, he said."

Draft saved Draft deleted