1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally got to go to Yankee Stadium, but thought I was dying on the way home

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pressboxramblings07, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Had the time of my life on my first and last trip to Yankee Stadium. Great experience, and being a life-long Yankees fan, very rewarding that I got to see one of the last 20 games at the Stadium.

The flight up to NYC was bad enough -- bad weather re-routed us from LaGuardia to Kennedy (or so we thought) over to Baltimore (or so we thought) and ended up at Kennedy. Then we thought we had to fly back to LaGuardia but were able to get out since my friend and I didn't check any bags. What made it worse was a broad in front of us freaking out about her husband waiting for her at LaGuardia and she was late. She was dropping F-bombs left and right, actually got ON the phone in the air and eventually cussed out a female passenger who told her to get off the phone. This whole time, she's directly in front of me.

Didn't think it could get any worse, until the flight home.

Here's the story: http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-liair0805,0,761276.story

Let's just say I'm happy I won't be flying for another five months. And I doubt I'll fly with American again.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Engine failures on multi-engine aircraft are not an extremely dangerous situation. Especially airplanes. Ninety percent of the time, they're just fine.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Holy crap, pbr! I'm glad you're OK...That's scary shit just to read about, let alone living it.

4. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Yeah, but that 10 percent's a bitch.

But seriously, isn't losing an engine on takeoff something of a different deal? I would think that in a climbing situation -- without much room to wiggle between you and the ground, for instance 600 feet in this case -- your margin for error is somewhat, umm, marginal.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

It won't be pretty, but those things can fly -- even climb -- with one engine. That's the reason they put two on it. Otherwise, it depends on a couple of things. Power available and the weather. If the temperature and humidity are low, but the pressure is high, you're OK. If you're in Mobile, you might just be fucked.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

The City of New York has authorized me to apologize on its behalf for the inconvenience - and the near-death experience - by extending the offer of a free medium egg cream from Katz's deli the next time you're here. Additionally, I extend a guarantee from mayor Bloomberg himself that you won't be robbed or shot at. Unless you have something shiny we really want. Or piss us off.

In the meantime, nearly 8 million of us are just glad to hear you're well.

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Whenever you can provide a link for your travel story, you know it was bad.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That made me laugh.
    Great line.

9. It was pretty intense, but I'm just glad the future wife wasn't with me. It was bad enough telling her what happened. And I'm glad that the entire city is happy for me. Next time I'm in town, I'll take you up on the egg cream -- whatever that is.

Other than the flights, had a great time yet again. Got to do a few things I wasn't able to do the last time I went in January. And, of course, the game at the Stadium was a memory set in stone. Admittedly, I thought I would cry when it was time to leave my seat in Section 631, Row E, Seat 17 ... but I didn't. I took off my Yankees hat and saluted the grand ballpark for the first and last time.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

OK...you gave us lots of detail on the first flight, but hardly any on the second. If you're up for it, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who's morbidly curious.

11. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Why broad?

I would have called her a "dame" or a "skirt."

Glad to hear you're fine, though.

12. Hence the link in the first post. It tells it better than I could. We took off, heard a loud BANG and landed at Kennedy 15 minutes later.

Draft saved Draft deleted