1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally, France finds someone it refuses to surrender to: Lance Armstrong

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Oct 21, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

John Leicester, AP's European sports columnist, calls the latest French probe into Armstrong fishy.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/33390932/ns/sports/

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

First one since this:

[​IMG]

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Appreciate the thread title, even if I couldn't care less about this story anymore ...

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I heard something about this on the radio somewhere today and immediately had this reaction: "Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ ... they surrender to everybody else, why not Armstrong too?" A thread slug was born. :D

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

[​IMG]

We also have French tanks for sale. Six gears, all reverse.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I know we as Americans like to take good sport out of making fun of the French and their tendency over the past 70 years or so of appeasing tyranny and caving in the face of aggression.

But if you know a little history, you can understand where a lot of that comes from, and it goes back to the so-called Great War (aka WWI), of which a high percentage of the most serious fighting was done in northern France.

For four long bloody years, the French showed incredible bravery and suffered some truly ghastly losses in defending their country against the Germans. They absolutely refused to surrender, and paid a high price for doing so.

Not only was their land physically scarred and ruined for years from being fought over tooth and nail between armies that numbered in the millions, but most of the best and brightest from a whole generation were lost, and those were the leaders who weren't there in 1940 and in the generations that followed.

So, yeah, laugh at the French and their often pompous and defeatist attitudes if you must, but when you do also remember what they as a nation went through in 1914-18. It may make you dial back your ridicule just a bit.

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Nah.

Rifle-droppers! Rifle-droppers!

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Was it Patton who said "I'd rather have a German division in front of me than a French division behind me." ?

9. McPoyle

McPoyle Guest

Cheese-eating surrender monkeys.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Have you ever read "The Price of Glory," which is about the battle of Verdun? Fascinating stuff, and you're right about the price the French paid.

The most striking thing to me from that book is the fact that they must still plow by remote control in that area, due to all the unexploded ordinance that is still in the ground. Verdun is perhaps the smallest city in the world that employs a full-time bomb removal squad.

11. Crash

Crash Active Member

After the French-Indian War, a French officer and a British officer were caught conversing. The French officer says, "You stupid Brits, you wear red coats and are easy to see from anywhere."

The Brit said, "You idiot. We wear these so that if an officer gets shot, the infantry won't see the blood and break ranks."

Ever since, French officers have worn brown pants.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Vanilla Coke, meet laptop screen.

Screen, that was Vanilla Coke.

Draft saved Draft deleted