1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally found my classic QA with Jim Murray...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mrbio, Apr 25, 2011.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

John Wooden is "so square he's divisible by four" is right up there.

2. mrbio

mrbio Member

Dooley: Fortunate to get the chance to Biofile Jim Murray, not so lucky with Marcelo Rios. Tried about five times on different occasions at the US Open locker room without success, a couple times he just walked away without any eye contact, making pfft sound. He was like this to all reporters. He even dissed Bud Collins at a press conference in Estoril, refusing to "answer any questions from that man." Rios, a magical talent on court but a jerk off it, made Albert Belle seem like a gentleman. Rios would break kids pens when they asked for autographs, or sign a big X. Here is my attempt to do a Biofile with Rios at a post match press conference in 1999...

An Interview with Marcelo Rios after his first round win at the 1999 U.S. Open against Martin Damm 64 76 36 57 61 at Interview Room 1 (August 30, 1999).

USTA: Questions for Marcelo Rios. (There were only three or four reporters there for Rios.)

Another reporter: It was a tough match. What happened?

Marcelo Rios: He played pretty good. I slowed down my game a little bit, but like I say, I'm not hitting very good the ball. Really nice to win like that.

Q: Who were your childhood heroes?

Marcelo Rios: What is that?

Q: Who were your childhood heroes?

Marcelo Rios: I don't understand what you say.

Q: Tennis people you admired when you were growing up?

Marcelo Rios: Nobody.

Q: What are your hobbies and interests?

Marcelo Rios: Nothing.

Q: What is your greatest sports moment?

Marcelo Rios: I don't remember, man.

Q: Come on.

Marcelo Rios: What do you want me to tell you?

Q: Just answer the questions.

Marcelo Rios: Don't ask me questions like that.

Q: What's your favorite movies?

Marcelo Rios: [No response. Re-angles chair slightly to face other side of room.]

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I've never been someone who lamented the loss of journalism luminaries who once posted here. People choose to post or not to post, that is their own decision. I can't be bothered to worry about why an individual is active here, or why they walk away.

Reading this thread, I have changed my mind somewhat.

Losing those dudes for "SCOOP!!!!!" Malinowski is akin to Pedro Martinez for Delino DeShields.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

So what, specifically, what were the "scoops" in the Murray interview?

5. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Welcome to sportsjournaselfabsorbedfanboiinthebasementblogger.com?

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The other couple of reporters at the '99 Open must have loved you.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

In response to your questions that followed, he should have said, "Go yourself fuck."

8. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Met Murray at a U.S. Open, the year he picked journeyman Mike Donald to win it all. Donald made it all the way to a Monday playoff. Murray had great fun with that. The rest of us had great fun just sitting by him in the lunchroom as we watched the action. Ran into him again at the Indianapolis 500 the next year. He was the only reporter with a "99" badge, which back then got you absolutely anywhere. He may have gotten it after Tony Hulman read the "Gentleman, start your coffins" line in the column.

A gentleman in person, a joy in print.

9. rponting

rponting Member

Scoop, thanks for the Jim Murray bit. It prompted me to go to the study and pull out one of his anthologies. Wonderful stuff.

But some modesty please, cobber. You would do well to conduct your business here like the mighty but unceasingly humble Mr Kindred

10. mrbio

mrbio Member

Thanks rp. chest thumping is a response to insults.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Insults a response to chest thumping.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

OK, so you understand it's six of one and half-dozen of the other.

He needs to ease up on the self-promoting ... and you need to ease up on the snotty finger-pointing.

I mean, really. With some of the stupid shit that goes on in here, there are much better wars to wage.

Like my man Martin getting the boot. That's a REALLY good war to wage.

Draft saved Draft deleted