1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally found my classic QA with Jim Murray...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mrbio, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Quakes

Quakes Guest

Elgin Baylor was "as unstoppable as a woman's tears." Has there ever been a better sportswriting simile than that?

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Did Scoop write that?

Kidding.

And, while I think I've been as tough on Scoop as anyone, I also think some here are now a little over the top in their criticism.

3. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Unless I'm missing something, the two Q&As Scoop has posted were Mike Lupica and Jim Murray. Both should be of interest to the board. I, for one, was grateful to read something new from Jim Murray. I assumed I would never again have the pleasure.

4. mrbio

mrbio Member

If you are going to rip my talent as a writer, then I will show you one of my most acclaimed features...

http://www.tennis-prose.com/articles/marcelo-rios-the-man-we-barely-knew/

Still get responses to this day six years later about this Rios piece. There are many more. I call myself Scoop because every Biofile I have ever done always discovers at least one scoop about the subject, sometimes many more. As you saw, there were quite a few scoops from the great Jim Murray. By the way: You're welcome.

Also the HWT champ of the world really liked this bit, in fact he called me a poet )

"The good boxer is like a painter...he uses his fists as brushes to paint his passions and powers onto the opponent who will obey and fall onto the canvas." Wladimir Klitschko, for those who care.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Classique!

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I find the stories very readable.

However, calling one's self "Scoop" is a little like saying the girls you date are provably, demonstrably hot.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

'Did you know that Monet used his brushes like fists? In fact, that's how he sent Manet's ass to the canvas that famous night in Montmartre.' - Thomas Hart Benton, for those who care.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Connie Chung and Bob Knight...Roy Firestone and Magic Johnson...Scoop Malinowski and Marcelo Rios.

Ah, the pantheon.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

By the way: You're welcome.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Elgin Baylor's draft picks made many grown men cry

12. mrbio

mrbio Member

Good stuff Azrael, thanks. Would like to read more,