1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally, Christians are beginning to see the problems ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. trounced

trounced Active Member

No, he didn't tell people that they were too sinful. No, the only people he got steamed at were not just the "hypocritical ultra religious."

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Can you name some?

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Trounced, he's saying help them, but don't force them to listen to a sermon first. That's like going to a time-share lecture just so you can get a malfunctioning calculator.

5. JackS

JackS Member

I knew I could count on you for finding the bad side of giving prisoners' children love, care, free camps and gifts. You da man.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You're right. I did have it backwards. But I suggest that they're emboldened to push their agenda even further.

7. Battling my way through the triple negative, I believe that trounced has his gospels in a knot. It wasn't gay people whom JC referred to, in some first-class invective, as a "generation of vipers," "sons of the dogs who murdered the prophets," and "whitened sepulchers." It was the ultrareligious judgmental hypocrites of his day.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Nice to see that people think my being against abortion is borne from a white-hot hatred of women and a desire to keep them in proverbial if not literal shackles. Couldn't be ANY other reason for someone to be opposed to abortion, eh?

I really shouldn't get involved in this thread, because all it's going to do is frustrate me in a life where the last thing I need is more frustration. I WILL say, though, that this thread lost any hope for thoughtful dialogue with the first line of "see, not all Christians are stupid." I DARE you to make that kind of statement about any other group on this board, be it by race, religion, sexual orientation, nationality, whatever. If this is how tolerance is defined by "progressives", then I'm switching to State Farm tomorrow morning*

* -- no I'm not, their rates are terrible.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

See, not all dicksnorts are stupid.

I didn't see the comment you're referring to, but if you want to see a generalization, ask hondo about Muslims.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Comment is the first line of the first post in this thread. And your point about hondo, which I agree to a degree is valid, at the same time underscores my concern. It is not acceptable to malign and/or generalize about people based on race, religion, gener, nationality and orientation, and I'm with you there. But nobody was rushing to the battle stations to say that it was wrong to indirectly generalize about Christians, as was done here.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Well, I believe that was tongue-in-cheek, much like the, "Don't you think Mel Gibson would learn from the Lebanese not to fuck with the Jews," comments over on that thread.

It does get fairly off color around here. Some douchenozzles even make jokes about ass-to-mouth.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Off-color? Here?

:eek:

But there is, I think, a subtle disdain of Christianity here. I understand that the extreme fringe of Christianity, the Fred Phelps and Jerry Falwell crowd, taint the whole with their rhetoric. But go back to the thread about the Rockies allegedly trying to make the clubhouse a more Christian environment, or whatever it was they were doing. The way many people were responding, you'd think they were trying to organize homosexual stonings and witch burnings and forcing everyone to triple-tithe to the Roy Moore for President Foundation. Most Christians, besides not being stupid, are not that extreme, but guess whose voices carry the day?

Draft saved Draft deleted