1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally, Christians are beginning to see the problems ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Jul 31, 2006.

1. JackS

JackS Member

And just out of curiosity, how would you write off Angel Tree?

2. Oh, Lord.
    It's the Biblethumping!
    Make it stop....

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So hating and villifying fellow sinners is the Jesus way, then? What are you saying, sir?

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

As already stated, their guidelines for what they classify as "successful" is not what is normally considered successful. There is no doubt that for some people, this program works. However, it is no more successful than the secular programs out there.

For example, one of the measures of success is whether the inmate continues attending church and does not commit a crime. While this seems fine and dandy, how do they classify an inmate that leaves the church and does commit a crime? Your answer is, he no longer counts as a statistic. What about those that leave the church and don't commit a crime? Well, those are still classified as a "success" since they didn't commit a crime.

True success rates are determined based upon the number of entries in the program and how many of those return to crime. Angel Tree doesn't go by this. They manipulate their numbers by claiming those that commit crimes have left their program and therefore do not count.

5. trounced

trounced Active Member

I wrote: "Condeming and villifying others? No." I'm not sure why that's unclear.

All I'm saying is that there is right and wrong, good and evil. Jesus didn't just go around telling everyone it was okay to do whatever the heck they wanted to do.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Jesus also didn't walk around pointing out the faults in everyone he met. He also didn't follow that up by threatening the person should they not follow him.

7. trounced

trounced Active Member

Angel Tree is the Prison Fellowship program that facilitates the care of the children of people who are incarcerated.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Did Jesus go around telling people they weren't good enough to follow him or too sinful? Seems to me the only people he got steamed at were the hypocritical ultra religious.

You could look it up, trouncy.

9. JackS

JackS Member

I'll be a good Christian and forgive the Pastor for blowing that answer.  Let's give him a second chance, eh trounced?  ;)

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I think you have it backwards, JR. In my view, the radical right wing (neo-conservatives, not to be confused with fiscal conservative) of the Republican party have played fundamentalist Christians for fools by makiing promises to them that they knew they would or could not keep. Oh sure, they'll selectively raise an issue to make it look like they're trying (let's amend the Constitution!) but, in reality, they just want the votes. In doing so, they've forged an implausible coalition that has nonetheless won two presidential elections.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

My mistake then. I was thinking of the Prisoner Reform program. It is in the same umbrella and based on the same premises.

In the case of children, I find it a little sickening that in order to receive help, a sermon is forced upon them.

12. trounced

trounced Active Member

So you'd rather they not be helped? You sound just like the libs who are not against a minimum wage increased because it's tied to estate tax relief.

Draft saved Draft deleted