1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally, Christians are beginning to see the problems ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Jul 31, 2006.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

You're still reading out of context. Are you itching for a fight? Is that why you're being so obtuse? He never said Christians don't do anything to help the homeless. And to think he was implying that is just foolish.

2. JackS

JackS Member

I have no idea why helping the homeless even got into this discussion. That was Inky's translation.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

So he throws down a gauntlet full of Coke, you pick it up and proclaim it to be Pepsi? Just because he brought up the homless doesn't mean you have to go on a tangent about why he's saying Christians don't help the homeless. He never said or implied that.

But think about what Christians could do if they spent less time attacking homosexual rights, etc.

That's the concept you completely overlooked.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Thanks for getting what I was saying, AA.

I believe the pastor in this article was saying there's more important stuff to worry about than the "sexual issues" he mentioned.

I'm not saying evangelicals aren't feeding the hungry. But I am saying if the money and energy and effort wasted on these petty sexual issues were directed at real problems such as hunger, homelessness, drug abuse or abused women and children, it would be better for everybody.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Really? You base this on what evidence?

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Wow. Double wow.

Or maybe double sarcasm font.

I'm hoping the latter.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Don't underestimate the effictiveness of butt-heating seats!

8. JackS

JackS Member

I agree Boyd didn't imply anything about the homeless.  I felt Inky's post was a total non-sequitur...thus my response.  I see he has since clarified it.

As to your second point, who the heck couldn't accomplish more in various endeavors by spending less time in others?  If you want to put opposing abortion down low on the "priority totem pole," that doesn't mean I or any other Christian should do the same just so that we can spend more time doing something else.

Let's go back to the point where we agree.  There should be no problem with someone leaving a church if he or she doesn't like what the preacher does or doesn't stand for.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Guess I can't tell my kids to finish their Hardees Monster Burger and Supersize Fries because of all the homeless people going hungry anymore. Are people in China still starving? Can I use that?

10. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

Those of you who are pro abortion, pardon us for a second. Now, JackS, what he is saying is that, while abortion is murder, it is a matter of the heart first and not the law. Fix the heart and the sin will go away. Go read the New Testament and tell me if you really believe Jesus -- were walking on Earth today -- would stand on a streetcorner waving a fetus? I don't think so. He would be inside the abortion clinic hugging women going through a rough time. I don't think you can argue that.

11. busuncle

busuncle Member

Africa would be better, but either example would be a lot better than using American vagrants as an example.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Y'know, I'm going to pretend you didn't actually say that and chalk it up to you being a newbie and spouting off. My ex-wife worked for the U.S. House on the homeless veterans group and she'd beg to differ with that claim.

Draft saved Draft deleted