1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally, a reason why I should watch BET. Chappelle returning to TV

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chuck~Taylor, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

So was Imus. Time for Dave to pick up the white courtesy phone. His racial humor is done.

2. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

You think it's done? You think people are just going to stop listening? His audience was extremely diverse and the DVD for his show is currently the best selling TV-Series of all time(he beat out Seinfeld, The Simpsons, and Friends).

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Boom, what did the five fingers say to the face?

Rick James is back, bitch!!!

4. Boom_70

I am stunned that anyone would think Chappelle is funny and not racist.

My 18 year old nephew once show me a Chappelle bit called the n.....'s . It dealt with white family who's last name was N....r . The mail man showed up and screamed I have mail for the n.....s. I made him turn it off and told him it was the worst piece of crap I have ever seen.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Now, you see what we've been arguing about on the sports threads? If a crotchety old white guy says that word, he is publicly embarassed and flogged. If Chappelle can say it, everyone laughs.

6. RokSki

RokSki New Member

7. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Whether its a Klansman using the word to describe black people, or a black comedian using the word to make fun of racism (and also to comment on the power of language), or two black men greeting eachother using a permutation of the word, its the exact same thing?

seriously, can anyone rationally believe this who hasn't recently had a stroke?

8. Chuck~Taylor

Exactly. I don't use the n word, but saying it's the same is wrong.

Let's keep 2 things in mind about Chappelle.

1. Most of his skits actually mocked black people.
    2. Chappelle co-wrote the show with his old friend Neal Brennan, who is white.

9. Boom_70

Are these observations made to justify Chappelle's liberal use of the N word? If so I do not think that you have made your case.

10. Chuck~Taylor

Hey, I think the guy can do just fine without it. But to say it's same as a white guy saying it is wrong. Just look at the definition. It is a term used to refer to dark-skinned people.

EDIT: He's already said he'll try not to use it anymore.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Chappelle will work with Mooney until Oprah and Sharpton again threaten to kill him.

12. Chuck~Taylor

Oh have you heard of the chappelletheory.com? :D

Draft saved Draft deleted