1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally a reason to watch the WNBA: Marion Jones to give it a try

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Marion Jones' 1994 UNC team won the national title right here in Richmond. I saw the team play a number of times. She was awfully good.
    I did a story on her after the regional victory over Connecticut that got them here. Rode the team bus to the airport, spent time with her (and the coach and others) before the flew home and cabbed back to the hotel.

Ran into her six years later in Houston and she remembered me, remembered the story - even though I'd gained about a million pounds and lost all my hair.

Call me an ol' sap - but I've always had a soft spot for Marion Jones and I hope this works out for her.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's a good feeling when someone who gains a little fame remembers a story that you did on them back in the day, eh Moddy?

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

And then she said to Moddy "Want to lose that weight in a week?"

4. Moderator1

I also have a soft spot for Tim Montgomery, for no good reason.
    C.J. Hunter? Not so much.

"Marion Jones' blubbering slob of a husband." Great line from one of the Sydney newspapers.

I think she's a nice kid who made extremely poor choices in men and reacted poorly when the shit went sour.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

She was so haughty and arrogant and condescending when the flames were beginning to flicker around her...so dismissive of anyone who doubted her, even as the mountains of evidence kept building. Had she maintained a Bonds-like aura even when the shit came crashing down, I could have had some begrudging respect for her.

But she gets all weepy and goes the Oprah confessional route. Pathetic. Go away.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Don't know her or C.J. I have dealt with Montgomery. He's pretty fucked up ego wise and this was when he wasn't all that great.

7. Moderator1

My Montgomery story: We're in the mixed zone at the 1996 trials, after the 100 semis. He came in seventh. A friend is talking to him while a bunch of us are trying to get Carl Lewis.
    I hear Montgomery say, "My dream has came true."

I ask my pal later: Look, not trying to get into your business and I won't use it but my curiousity is way high. I can't believe his dream was to come in seventh in a semi and not qualify?

Nope. His dream was to beat Carl Lewis.

The punchline is Carl Lewis came up lame, grabbed a hammy about 30 yards in and kind of hop/skipped his way to the finish line. Any of us would have beaten him that day.

But his dream had came true.

As for C.J. - ugh. More ugh. Then ugh some more.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Then they already don't have any hope of legitimacy. Nancy Lieberman already made a comeback.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Still not a reason to watch the WNBA. Not in my house, anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted