1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally a reason to watch the WNBA: Marion Jones to give it a try

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Dec 1, 2009.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Interesting story from Kevin Blackistone:

http://tinyurl.com/ydt7duv

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Does the WNBA have drug testing?

I would be very happy if Marion Jones went away, never to be heard from again other than the occassional "now living in a van down by the river" type of story.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Why? If you are not watching great players like Diana Taurasi, why would you watch Marion Jones who has not played in 12 years

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

What? You have the audacity to criticize a female athlete or women's sport?

You must be the President of the Woman-Hating He-Man club!!!! [\Fenian Bastard, political correctness expert]

5. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

One of the HS athletes I use to cover told me her athletic idol is Marion Jones. This was after all the shit about her came out. I wanted to mention that she may not be the best person to look up to but it was not worth the effort.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

No way should the WNBA allow this, and I'm not even talking about the drug stuff. The quality of play has always been pathetic. Whatever hopes they might have of legitimacy would be destroyed if someone could take more than a decade off and jump right back in at the "highest level."

On the other hand, this is a good excuse to link to the classic Family Guy clip:

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, Michael Jordan could probably hit the gym for 6 months and *make a roster.* There's gotta be 10 stiffs playing in the NBA now who are still worse than Jordan.

If I were Orender or whoever is running the WNBA, I would say:

a) Minimum wage, not a nickel more.

b) before taking the court even in a practice, you undergo the most rigorous series of drug tests ever known to humankind;

c) you undergo drug tests EVERY SINGLE DAY before appearing in any game, with results released daily.

Don't like it? Go home. The WNBA's union is a house union, so they ain't gonna say shit.

8. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

The WNBA could use ANY kind of publicity at this point, even the bad.

9. dailygrind

dailygrind Member

Juice aside, she has always been a great athlete. Wouldn't be shocked if, after she knocked off some rust, she was decent.

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Marion Jones playing in the WNBA will be like Michael Jordan playing Double A baseball, except a lot less people will watch her play,

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Marion Jones was a pretty good basketball player. However, she must really be broke to give the WNBA a shot.

12. ringer

ringer Active Member

Marion Jones in the WNBA?
    I'd pay to watch that.

Otherwise (off the record): feh.

Draft saved Draft deleted