1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally, a real role model in the NBA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Jul 3, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I tip my hat to Derek Fisher. In a league that is probably neck-and-neck with the NFL for highest percentage of men-children, this guy reminds all of us what everyone's priorities are. I know some trolls here are gonna say I'm blowin' the guy, but I'm glad he's making this decision. God bless him & I hope his daughter survives to have an enjoyable life.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2924068

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I hope and pray his daughter is all right.

But I've got to ask, what ELSE would one expect Fisher to do?

Taking care of your family, putting them first, should be the expectation, not the rarity.

3. Good on him.
    That cancer sounds rare, and awful.

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

The kittens make a valid point.

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Yet, I ask, "What Would Shawn Kemp Do?"

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Horrible crisis for any family, and he's doing what any father should do, given his level of financial security. Doesn't make him a hero or a role model, it makes him a dad. Imagine the poor parents who have limited financial resources, and have to make this choice.

7. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

1.) Cure the cancer with his tears.
    2.) Proceed to make four other children with five different women.

Too bad Kemp doesn't cry.

Fisher is a class act though. Hope everything turns out well for him.

8. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Very valid point, and I wish I wasn't so impressed by Fisher's move. I guess that goes to show you the pervasiveness of greed, shallowness & self-absorption in "professional" sports. In the real world, this is hardly a surprising decision.

9. chazp

chazp Active Member

Putting the needs of someone else ahead of his own, damn I can't believe he was ever a pro athlete! Double good for him!

10. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Yeah, because Dikembe Mutombo isn't a role model whatsoever. Nope. Not at all.

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Bet Kobe tries to get him back to the Lakers if he returns to the NBA. I, too, feel bad for the family and the kid. It's such a tough thing to deal with. Is this in any way similar to what Ducks goalie J.S. Giguere's kid is going through?

12. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

The good news for Fischer is, of all childhood cancers, retinoblastoma is one of the most curable if caught early. According to St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital, "If the tumor is contained within the eye, more than 95 percent of patients can be cured. For those children with tumors in both eyes, close to 70-80 percent of the eyes can be saved, although many of them need radiation therapy."

Draft saved Draft deleted