1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally, a good Entourage 6/25

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Almost_Famous, Jun 25, 2006.

1. stupid, i compared entourage to seinfeld and friends. i said i'd never seen a bad episode of the shield or the wire.

michael gee, i am not expecting entourage to deliver drama or be heavy.... i'm expecting entourage to deliver humor in a more intelligent way than a typical network sitcom.... i like andrew dice clay. he was funny as hell. i think chris rock is funnier and more sophisticated than dice clay. you follow? entourage is coming off like a typical network sitcom. i expected better. it delivered better the first two years. i'm concerned about this season.

do either of you have comprehension problems?

stupid, you don't like the wire. i'm done discussing television with you. we have nothing in common.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I broke my ankle jumping off the bandwagon with you there.

The Wire is in the top 10 of shows I have ever seen. And, I don't think it is from the cops' perspectives all the time at all.

It's neck in neck with the Sopranos. And it oozes with realism, but you better be ready to pay attention, or, like in a bull-riding competition, you will be off in less than 8 seconds.

3. this_guy

this_guy Guest

This Dom story line could have potential...but so far it has just been a tired, overused plot line - everyone wants him out except the main character (Vince). And from the very start, the level-headed one (E) always knew he was bad news.

And guess what! Next week there's a crime committed and everyone suspects/knows it's him...but did he really do it?

Blah.

4. Stupid

Stupid Member

Comprehension?

"a show like the wire would've had vince on the phone with dom for 1 minute in season 2 setting up the fact that dom might come into the picture in season 3"

That's comparing Entourage to The Wire, is it not?

Hole Balata-Doesn't have the same realism on the drug dealers' side, IMO. At least not from my experience.

5. we have a winner!

and didn't we just see pretty much the same scenario with mandy moore last year? it's stale. vince's loyalty to old friends threaten to break up the group... move on and try something else or at least try it in a clever way.

6. stupid, you busted me there. i can see how you could misread that analogy.... my bad....

what i meant is that's what a i expect from an hbo-type show, a little foreshadowing, a little depth even in 30-minute sitcoms.... larry sanders had depth... this show is starting to lack depth. you can have depth in a sitcom.

7. Stupid

Stupid Member

I don't know if Entourage ever had that much depth. Sure there was the thing about Eric putting his friendship with Vince on the line when he became his manager or Vince and Mandy or Ari's ouster from the agency but really this is just a feel good show and as long as there are gags such as Vince drinking after the hooker or Turtle telling Drama he stinks in the backseat or them crossing swords in a 3-some, that's what the show really is.

on last week's thread you made the point that it should be an hour and if it were, I think you'd have a point about depth. as it is, it's a half hour of goofing off and hopefully 4-5 Ari zingers.what little plot lines there are exist to keep the series moving.

8. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Here's something that sets Entourage apart from The Sopranos, The Wire and Deadwood (by far, laughably, ridiculously the holy trinity of television):

You can read an Entourage thread and there is really no such thing as a spoiler. It is that cream-puffy. The plot is irrelevant.

Like I've said before, I enjoy the show, kind of like I occasionally enjoy junk food. But really, its just 'Sex and the City' for dudes.

When Stringer and Barksdale chop it up on the balcony towards the end of season three, it shits on anything else that has ever been on HBO, with the possible exception of a few moments of the Sopranos and possibly a Swearingen blowjob soliloquy.

9. stupid, you just described threes company. i liked the show. but i can't remember one episode of it...

meanwhile, good times, all in the family, mash, the white shadow i remember lots about those shows and can watch them on dvd.... that's where i thought we were headed with entourage. if it's going to be threes company, i'll find something else to do sunday night and watch it on demand when i ain't busy....

right now, sex in the city is going to have a much longer lifespan than entourage... and i think sex in the city is the perfect analogy. that show had depth.

10. Stupid

Stupid Member

whoa! You might need to show us your dude card. I didn't get any depth from that show, unless it was the degrees of mindlessness in which it enveloped itself. I thought that aspect was a bit clever.

11. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

*laughs* Sex and the City had depth...Right...That show died around Season 3 (actually anything after Season 1 was below averaged compared to season 1) and after that occasionally it was "Let me remind myself how I love Kristin Davis" time.

Entourage was ok this week. The Dom character makes sense and the idea of ruining the happy family is fine, but honestly they could've used the budget to get more Mandy Moore, Samaire Armstrong and Emmanuel Chirqui appearances.

12. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

I really disliked this episode as well.
    Dom made me unbelievably uncomfortable, and like someone said before, not nearly enough Ari.
    I didn't really laugh once for the entire half-hour.

And where the fuck is Emmanuelle Chriqui?

Draft saved Draft deleted