1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally, a argument in favor of marijuana

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 6, 2016.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That consideration did make the leap more difficult.

dixiehack and YankeeFan like this.
  2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

All it takes is one letter and you're sucking down bong rips with Laremy Tunsil and the rest of us!

3. LongTimeListener

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If catering company had mistakenly served alcohol to minors, would the news be about the dangers of alcohol or about the negligence of the caterer?

5. LongTimeListener

There's no indication the catering company served it. More likely one of the teenagers brought the stuff and set it out.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It was a catered event. I don't know who put the candy out.

7. LongTimeListener

OK. Let's change the focus then. Do you generally hear about a lot of events that end with 19 people, most minors and at least one as young as 6 years old, going to the hospital for alcohol-related symptoms?

Edibles are hugely different, and older people don't know much about them. The THC content can be 15-20 times higher than the old weed we were used to.

Dammit YF, you've sucked me in!

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Side discussion: In R. Kelly's "Ignition (Remix), the line "We've got food everywhere as if the party was catered" always bothered me. How the hell else WOULD there be food everywhere?

9. LongTimeListener

You must not be married to an Asian woman.

My wife's family can feed 75 people and tell everyone to bring Tupperware.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

you don't here much about minor being taken in for alcohol-related symptoms because it's A) more common and 2) not as newsworthy as pot, which in the current context is more newsworthy because the recreational ballot is going to pass in November.

Medical marijuana has been legal since 1996, and somehow a single incident 22 years later is supposed to scare people into opposing Prop. 64?

It's a typical chicken-little mentality. Not you, per se, but the anti-pot campaign in general.

Medical marijuana was been legal in California for 22 years.

A 14 yo girl died of alcohol poisoning at her own slumber party four years ago, should we re-institute prohibition?
    Teen Girl Dies After Drinking at Sleepover

There were 4,295 motorcycle deaths in 2014, should we ban motorcycles?
    Fatality Facts

This quinceanera story is sad for the kids involved and their families, but reacting to anecdotal evidence rather than real, scientific evidence overtime does not do us any good.

Anyway, moot point. Prop. 64 will pass, and medical and recreational marijuana laws are coming up in, I think, eight other states.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The War on Drugs built the drug cartels, just as prohibition built organized crime in the U.S.

Legalization of marijuana in the U.S. has already cause Mexican cartels to grow less and export less.
    U.S. war on drugs empowers Mexico cartels (Opinion) - CNN.com

Unfortunately, we're still dealing with the unintended consequences of four decades of dumb policy as dangerous drugs continue to come in.

Donny in his element likes this.
  12. LongTimeListener

My entire point here was my prediction that the scientific evidence will show that the new types of marijuana (particularly edibles) are far more harmful than the joints and bongs we remember so fondly, but that by then it will all be legal and the horse will be out of the barn. The marijuana lobby -- backed heavily by venture capital money -- has won the day. I think it's going to turn out to be not such a great thing in the next 10 years, and I don't think people understand now what kind of drug we're actually dealing with.

YankeeFan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted