1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Final leg of the Triple Crown: Belmont Stakes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Charming, I know.

But this ain't Churchill.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

No Derby winner. No Preakness winner.

Might as well be the number 8 race on the card at Santa Anita, for all anyone is going to care.

The Belmont loses much of its luster when there is no triple crown on the line. But at least show up, for the love of God!!!

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You could hear between the lines from Pletcher than even after the Derby win, he didn't like SS's chance to prevail going a mile and a half.

Lookin At Lucky performed to the max in Baltimore. I don't blame Baffert a bit for blowing this off, given the three-week interval. LAL's a useful
    horse. I wish I owned him, but he's by no stretch great. Lots of money
    to be made, without abusing him.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. No good reason for either of those horses to be grinding at Belmont.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

No good reason for watching the Belmont.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Now, if you KNEW Ice Box would run out of the money, and a couple of the other favorites might come up empty . . .

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Or you can pick a place contender for a triple, like me. I'm going with 4-5-6.

8. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Ice Box is going to have a heck of a time winning this race. No speed whatsoever outside of First Dude, and he's not a speed ball. These 1 1/2 mile races are often won by pacesetters or horses with tactical speed, and not by closers as you might think. I'd play against Ice Box and probably go with the other Zito horse, Fly Down (I believe it's a Zito horse).

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Oh, contrare . . . my wallet will be very interested in this 2 and a half minutes.

Assuming it's a dry, fast track, I'm using the remainder of my Derby profits and taking the 5, Fly Down, in all my exactas and trifectas.

Good luck to all. See you at the Spa.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I find it fascinating that Ice Box is only -110 to win a hundred to FINISH IN THE TOP THREE at Olympic Sports (www.thegreek.com). I think they're
    trying to tell us something.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That the race is wide open? Some horse has to go in as the favorite, eh? They can't all be like 10-1, can they?

12. Hackwilson191

Hackwilson191 Member

I don't care this isn't the Derby at 20-1 and on the rail, you gotta at least some sort of flyer on Calvin Borel.

Draft saved Draft deleted