1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Final Four thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Angola!, Mar 25, 2007.

1. GimpyScribe

GimpyScribe Member

There are a number of reasons why I think it'll be closer and I've written a post elsewhere on some of the key points. But, here goes again:
    * Darren Collison -- One of the biggest question marks for me coming into this season was how big of a dropoff there'd be from Jordan Farmar to Collison. There hasn't been. In fact, Collison has been, in some aspects, an even better PG. He's a steadying influence on the team, shoots a high percentage from behind the arc and is a much, much better defender than Farmar was. Taurean Green was able to get the ball to Horford/Noah whenever he wanted against Farmar. Collison will apply much more pressure.

* Josh Shipp -- This kid's as smooth as they come and he was sorely missed last year. Corey Brewer was a real thorn in the Bruins' side in last year's title game. Shipp's athleticism and scoring ability improves UCLA immeasurably. Last year, Brewer was able to guard Afflalo and forced Farmar to chuck 3s to beat them because UCLA had no other offensive weapons. Now, if Afflalo isn't hot, Shipp and Collison have the ability to put the ball in the hole.

* Lorenzo Mata, Luc Richard Mbah A Moute and Alfred Aboya -- Last year, senior Ryan Hollins and freshman Mbah A Moute were UCLA's only interior presence. Mata and Aboya didn't play important minutes. This year, those two are bangers who aren't afraid to body up on someone. Noah and Horford are obviously more talented, but Mata, Mbah A Moute and Aboya play excellent post defense, better than the athletic, but thin Hollins.

* Revenge factor -- UCLA obviously has plenty of motivation and, seeing UCLA play all season, that's when the Bruins play their best. They were motivated against Kansas after being snubbed by the committee, who gave the Jayhawks a No. 1 seed. The result? Kansas, who most experts thought would win the game, lost by 13. Never understimate good ole fashioned revenge.

I'm not sitting here saying UCLA is definitely going to beat Florida. But those who think it's going to be a blow out haven't been paying much attention to the West Regional champs.

2. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

I'll take Florida over Georgetown in a rematch of a great Sweet 16 game last season. The Gators seem in control no matter what happens out there, although Taurean Green against UCLA's D is scary for them.

Both Oden and Hibbert will have two fouls in the first 10 minutes.

3. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Gimpy, I can't really call being put into the West Regional and having virtual home games for the first four rounds of the tournament in Sacramento and San Jose and being paired with the lowest No. 1 seed to be a huge "snub" for UCLA.

That said, I'm not knocking UCLA. I think they're awesome and the matchup with Florida should be a war.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Snubbed by the committee meaning never having to leave the state to advance to the Final Four, which rendered KU as the West's No. 1 seed in name only. They should have just flopped the seeds and snubbed KU.

And the only experts that I saw picking KU were Jay Bilas and Seth Davis. Everyone else I saw went with UCLA.

5. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

UCLA played better than Kansas. Those are the breaks.

I think this is a GREAT Final Four. The OSU-Gtown game is fascinating with the inside matchup. The Florida-UCLA rematch is interesting as well.

6. UCLA is a much better team than last years Bruin's squads...

...and they're still no match for Florida.

7. KP

KP Active Member

UCLA has 11 national titles. 1964 1965 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1975 1995

8. GimpyScribe

GimpyScribe Member

Where the hell did I get 17 from? That's what I get for posting at 3:19 A.M. :\

9. boots

boots New Member

I just had a fucker ask me for tickets.

10. Mmac

Mmac Guest

There's some definate parallels to 90-91, UNLV easily blew out and embarrassed Duke in the 90 final, returned nearly everyone in 91, and we're top ranked all year primed to repeat until Duke got revenge with a thriller in the 91 FF--damn near the exact same scenario as UF/UCLA here. Using history as a guide would suggest that UCLA's gonna get some vengeance Saturday.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Florida's march won't be as easy in these last two rounds of the tourney, but they should still win the title game by at least 10.
    It would be interesting to see how this UF team reacted with a handful of regulars saddled with foul-outs.
    I'd say they go 8-deep tops.
    And those first four, minus Humphrey, are outstanding. Best in show.
    But heck, I looked up with about four minutes to go the other nite and Noah was picking up only his second foul of the game.
    This group avoids troublesome situations or else has the refs in their back pockets.
    I figure it's the former.

12. Humphrey is a hell of a player...

He's been a nice piece in the Florida jigsaw puzzle this tourney. Takes a lot of pressure of Noah, Horford.

Draft saved Draft deleted