1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Final Four on TNT, Baby!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Apr 16, 2010.

1. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Well, if you have broadband internet and the NCAA continues with MMOD, you could skip it. ESPN360.com (ESPN3.com, now) carries a ton of live games. The increasing amount of content available online has tempted me to cancel my cable TV.

Which brings me to another topic: how long until cable companies start attempting to screw internet users? I don't believe cable TV providers will go down quietly as people cancel TV service as they opt to watch all of their TV programming online. Will they attempt to jack up prices/place bandwidth caps on service?

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Of course. In part, that's what the recent court case was about.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

It's not about advertising anymore. Advertising is becoming supplemental. It's about cable provider subscriber fees, as Disembodied said.

And as more content becomes available online, your monthly internet will go up, too, as subscriber fees are passed on to internet providers.

Newspapers are spinning their wheels trying to figure out the ad-based model, which is already outdated. Internet provider subscriber fees are where it's at.

Hopefully there will be some journalists and newsrooms left by the time they figure it out.

4. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

+4,391

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If the Valparaiso-Gonzaga opening round game bumps a John Wayne movie off Turner Classic Movies, I'm gonna be pissed.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm sure there are people who do not have cable, but I honestly can't think of one person I know who doesn't have it.

7. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

This could be sideline reporter Craig Sager's defining moment, can he possibly surpass the MLB Playofs? [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't. I have satellite.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. JackReacher

Yeah.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I have neither, and won't be getting either for quite some time.

11. JackReacher

Who the hell is your cable provider? Because, as several people have already noted, you can certainly get cable/satelitte for less than $75/month. We don't pay much more than that for cable AND internet.

12. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/ncaa/ncaa/media+and+events/press+room/news+release+archive/2010/announcements/20100422+cbs+turner+ncaa+rights+agreement+rls

New TV deal for NCAA tournament with CBS and Turner sharing rights. Best news of all: Looks like the field expands to 68, not 96.

Draft saved Draft deleted