1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Final Four and NCAA Title Game Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Apr 4, 2009.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I would easily put up with those stinkers u mentioned to get the games I mentioned. The four super bowls I listed are all-time classics.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I might even include Pats-Panthers on that list, if only for the fourth quarter.

3. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Right, but my greater point is that line of thinking seemed to contradict everything you had been harping on. I'm saying I agreed with your point in that post I quoted about "players playing well on a given night" as the main determining factor in winning and losing. So for you to turn around and say that destiny and revenge would be important factors...I don't know it just seemed to go against everything you had been so strenuously arguing for the first 15 pages of this thread.

Again, I'm not fully sure why I even bothered to enter this fray. Feel free to have the last word because I really don't care that much.

4. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Yeah, I know. That's the point I was making. Well I guess my point was more that destiny and revenge are even sillier than "out-coaching." But in general my point was that it's really determined by the kids on the floor not any of that other stuff.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Izzo froze at the controls during UNC's early run.

He should have called time out when UNC took an 8-3 lead, and slapped on a full-court press (they were actually somewhat effective in the 2nd half using a press). Of course UNC would probably have shredded it, but so what; their only chance was to do something dramatic to seize the momentum back and get the crowd back into the game. UNC completely shut up the entire crowd within the first 90 seconds of the game.

They were so overcome by the "team of destiny" crap that when things started going bad, they were all saying, "this can't be happening! we were supposed to win! we were carrying the hopes and prayers of a whole state on our shoulders!! it's so unfair!!"

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Or they could have quit turning the ball over and maybe tried to make a free throw. I've never seen Izzo's team play that sloppy.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yeah, right, That's what happeend.

It could be that a good team got dominated by a much better team -- for the second time this season.
    Nah, that couldn't have been it.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Sparty's only chance was a puncher's chance -- they had to smack UNC in the mouth right off the bat. Instead they got smacked in the mouth themselves and rolled over and died.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Star, as I said last night, the matchups weren't there for them. They had nobody who could do anything resembling defense on Carolina's big people. Davis, Thompson, and Hansbrough got what shots they wanted at will.
    No defense can fix that.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Best breakdown yet.

If Michigan State hits Chapel Hill in the mouth right away, it's a game. It's how the Spartans beat UConn (not coincidentally, Pittsburgh did the same thing twice in beating the Huskies).

Chapel Hill is average defensively, and had very little heart excluding Tyler Hansbrough and Danny Green. But they were an offensive juggernaut and could run all day and night, too. Therefore ...

11. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

Heart is overrated when you have talent. Plus I think that's been a bullshit excuse for people to pick against UNC all year. They were the best team on day one, and they lost a few games along the way, but won pretty easily when it mattered.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Heart is not an excuse, it's a fact. It didn't keep Chapel Hill from being the best team this season, but there's little heart outside Hansbrough and Green.

Draft saved Draft deleted