1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Final Four and NCAA Title Game Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

As I said before, I really believe this was the worst tournament of my college watching lifetime. Again, not a smack on the lack of mid-majors or Cinderellas. That I don't care about. Having Siena play Michigan State in the Elite Eight wouldn't have been any more interesting than having Louisville.

Save for a few games -- the Friday late night session in the first round; MSU-Kansas; Pitt-Villanova -- this event lacked any intrigue at all. The Final Four was a snooze. None of the games terribly competitive. Three of the four regional finals were routs. You had a 40-point win in the Sweet 16 for crying out loud.

When do the NHL playoffs start?

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This might have been worst tourney, but it still was fun to watch. That says a lot about college hoops.

The MSU/UConn game is the one I will remember.

3. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

The NCAA title game is getting to be like the Super Bowl. Only in rare cases does the hype match the game. In the last 10 title games, there have been three really good games (Cuse-KU; UNC-Illinois; KU-Memphis), two awful games (Florida-UCLA; UNC-MSU) and five games with varying degrees of mediocrity (MSU-Florida; Duke-Arizona; Maryland-IU; UConn-GT; Florida-Ohio State).

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

No outcoaching. MSU played like shit, UNC played real well. That's all there is.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

No, it wasn't.

Louisville didn't make shots and couldn't get their press rolling. They missed open shots, shots they almost always make - there is no adjustment for that. There is also no adjustment for A.J. Price going 5-for-20.

And again, Tom Izzo found out last night that he's not nearly as much of a genius when his team doesn't make shots.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

He also found out that destiny doesn't mean shit.

7. zagoshe

And you apparently can't read as in the first sentence I admitted I was wrong in thinking that destiny, defense and momentum would carry Michigan State.

Did you hear that some of you -- I admitted I was wrong, which is something I've done plenty of times when I am wrong.

Some of you should try it.

8. zagoshe

But, but, but, but -- who is that guy who wears a suit who is supposed to get the kids to play to their ability? What is his job?

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The NCAA title game is getting to be like the Super Bowl. Only in rare cases does the hype match the game.

WTF? There have been some fantastic super bowls this past decade.

Rams - Titans
    Pats - Rams
    Giants - Pats
    Steelers - Cards

The final four has gone to shit - but don't take the super bowl down with it.

10. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Duke-Arizona was at least decent. Arizona got it down to a one possession game a few times in the waning minutes before Battier/FT shooting put it away. The '01 FF also had that Duke-Maryland game, so.

11. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

And there have been some good NCAA title games. But do you also care to defend: Ravens-Giants, Steelers-Seahawks, Bucs-Raiders, Colts-Bears?

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Yeah, completely agree. The days of the Super Bowl not living up to the hype are far in the distance, with the last two both being thrilling.

Draft saved Draft deleted